wood grain dash

hello everyone, i am restoring a 1947 hudson truck and i am wanting to paint the dash the woodgrain that was used in the 47 cars, i am in need of knowing what wood grain pattern that was used along with the color that was used. 

Comments

• Toddh
    Toddh Member
    edited July 2023
    Firstly, the truck dashes were painted body color, not woodgrained by the factory.  That said, the woodgraining process was photo-applied to painted sheet metal and then die stamped and formed into the dash and spot welded in.  The background color is a sort of light green/brown and the graining looks like a tiger stripe maple with the stripes running roughly vertical.  There’s a fellow in PA that advertises in the AACA magazine that he can do the original process or something close to it. 
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    Although this is a Buick, the graining and color are very similar

• KEL 39
    KEL 39 Member
    There is a plastic film that can be applied quit easily. It originally was used on woodgrain on the side of station wagons in the 80 and 90s? 
    It is a 3M product  Called  3M Di-Noc Automotive film. The one you see on my 1948 Olds is Product number S-578 Cherry Oak . There are lots of other designs.
    My dash was done about 10 years ago and it has not faded or bubbled or changed in any way. I am extremely happy with it. I plan to do my 39 Hudson dash with it.

Ivan L.