3 speed over drive mystery part

took apart 51 262 3 speed over drive and found remains of some type of round seal, rubber band size and color, cant tell where it came from any help or insight appreciated

Comments

• FlimFlamMan
    FlimFlamMan Member
    edited August 2023
    Not a part of the transmission, looks like somebody used a rubber band to keep those roller bearings in position during assembly and a piece got stuck in the trans. They are tricky to keep in position when going back together.
  • that was my first thought, but I wanted to confirm with someone who would know, as I have never had one of theses trans apart, thank you
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    That's what it is, certainly.
  • agree completely.  They call out using one in the 42-47 Mech Procedure but I sure didn't want that rubber band floating around in there.  I just use extra grease and take extra care when assembling
  • same thing here, I packed them in with extra grease and it slide right together as I didn't like the idea of a rubber band floating around in there either.
  • rubber band a common practice, not just on Hudsons. rubber 
    band won't hurt anything in the transmission.
  • I have used rubber bans to hold roller bearings in place during several transmission rebuild with no ill effects,

Jc
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    So there is a some truth to saying “the rubber band broke” in a car!