Driveshaft for OD Swap

Hi All,

I have a 46 PU that I am restoring, and I'm considering dropping a 262 w/ a single lever OD or swapping the OD transmission and keeping the 212 splasher.

One thing I will need is a shorter drive shaft if I swap the trans or drop the 262 in. Can anyone point me in the direction of obtaining a shorter drive shaft? Will a universal u-weld-it type shaft work or would I be better off with something else? Any advice is welcome.

Thank you,
Lance

Comments

• Any competent driveshaft company can shorten yours. I'm in So. Cal. and I have a local place here in Ontario that I use. They do really good work.
  • Thanks for the feedback. I was in the mindset of getting a new one to keep the original but that’s sort of silly the more I think about it. 

I’ll reach out to some local shops. I considered shortening it myself but it’s such a vital part I’d be more confident with a pro tackling it for sure. 
  • Most driveline shops will balance them after shortening, as well.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Yes, do be careful to have yours checked for balance after shortening. Forty-five years ago I had the one on my '37 shortened, in order to install on OD trans.  Immediately the car developed a vibration when going down the road.  I took the car back to the driveshaft shop and they checked it.  "No sir, it's perfectly balanced!" 
    A couple years passed and the vibration continued.  So I took it to a different driveshaft shop for checking.  "Sir, the driveshaft is perfectly balanced!"  It still vibrated, and I wondered what could possibly be wrong with the car. 
    A couple of years later I went to a THIRD driveshaft shop.  "Sir, this driveshaft is WAY out of balance!"
    Go figure.
  • I brought mine to a driveline shop, he didn't want to try and shorten the Hudson driveshaft, but made me a new one. the Hudson driveshaft is tapered on both ends, so it is a lot of work to shorten them properly, a lot easier to make a new one.But maybe not cheaper. Anyway it works good. Good luck.