Carburation 1930 HUD Marvel Updraft

StuJones
StuJones Expert Adviser
Powering along when suddenly experienced a symptom of running out of fuel.Plenty of fuel in the tank and float bowl.Removed fuel bowl and jets assembly. All galleries and jets clear.Replace and attempt to start up. Required full choke to get the engine to run. Without applying the choke engine stops when accelerating. Next step is dismantling manifolds to check for holes. If anyone has resolved a similar problem I would appreciate your ideas/advice Many Thanks

Comments

• barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Can you start the engine and use an aerosol spray to check for holes/bad gaskets. If so would be easier
  • what’s your float height set at? Are you running corn gas ?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Burnt through hot box.  Put your hand over the intake and wind the engine over.  If burnt through there will be no suction. 
  • StuJones
    StuJones Expert Adviser
    Thanks for the tip Barry
    Hi Paul Thanks for your comments float is set for a suitable level running on 90 petrol with valve saver
    Hi Geoff Thanks  the suction appears too low but did pull fuel through the jets I’m going to take the carburetor off and hand test the manifold opening again
    Report on that to follow 
  • StuJones
    StuJones Expert Adviser
    Removed riser and Vacuum tested the hot box All good Replaced gasket and replaced riser Vacuum tested Riser All good Replaced carby Problem remained Changed over to the spare carby Varoom Working as it should! Re inspected original carby Wire cleaned jets and galleries Possible culprit was a slither of brass under the main jet but I’m not about to check it out 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    That would do it.