Overdrive clutch

Geoff
Geoff Senior Contributor
Can anyone tell me the difference between the standard and overdrive clutch disc for the Jet? I am about to replace the clutch, and suspect I have only the non o/d disc, but don't know what the difference is.

Comments

• I know on step downs, 9” was for non OD cars 10” optional but if you OD 10” was standard 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Jet is dry clutch, and is 10", but the parts book shows different numbers for o/d.  I have three plates, and they are all identical.  I assume the o/d disc is heavier duty, but  how does one know?
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Maybe all three of yours are HD?
    I would guess the center hub springs might be different?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    No, the three I have are the part  number for the standard clutch.  I have had trouble with a rough clutch, shuddering on take-off, so  I think it is because I have the wrong disc in.
    Don't want to  fit a new disc and have the problem recur.  I know the clutch is the same as Studebaker and Chrysler, but can't get anybody to verify the difference.
  • 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    edited August 2023

These photos are a clutch disc I got with a group of Jet parts I bough from someone. The friction portion is .285” thick. Is this the same as yours?
  • 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    edited August 2023
    Deleted

• This came from an overdrive Jet. No numbers. 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Thank you for this information.  In the end, I finally found the data in  the  1953-'54 Mechanical Procedure manual supplement, which states that the only difference is the springs in the disc, and is identified by a ring of white paint around the hub.  I looked in my spares, and have a new plate in the original  wrapper, but the number is obliterated, and Voila!  It has a ring of white paint around the  hub! To quote scripture - "Seek and ye shall  find".
  • Great news
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    The only reason that I have had "shuttering" was because of a warped clutch disc. I have had several NOS ones that were warped. I was always taught to lay the disc on a flat surface and check to ensure that it doesn't rock.
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    For a short time I was out of work as a machinist and worked for a friend at a clutch rebuilding shop. Most newer clutch disc and pressure plates were replaced not rebuilt but the more expensive or hard to find and bigger truck we rebuilt. (Some forklift clutches ran in oil.) Anyway I would drill out the  disc pads leaving the bare metal plate.Then another employee would place the plate on a flat surface and if it rocked he hammered it flat . Finally I would use an auto feed pedal controlled rivet setting machine to set brass rivits in the new pads. Long story short the factory NOS Hudson disc should be flat from quality control before shipping long long ago. Too late to  do much now except as 7X  suggests to check for flatness. Gert