55-56 water pump differences?

GrimGreaser
GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
Looking to get one of the new 308 water pumps - Coopers' website lists 55-56 pumps separately as rebuilt...  I'm currently running a 56 block with my original 52 pump...  is there something I missed along the way?  (not surprising...)  If its minor, like pulley flange spacing, I have to change that anyway for my setup.

I've been running just an electric fan, but it's been borderline on hot days.  Tinkering around with making a new shroud for the ol' mechanical fan and, yeah, those old pump bearings are definitely shot...  Seems likely this knucklehead may have overloaded the tension on the belt at some point...  (again, not surprising...)

Comments

• railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    I had a rebuilt 55-56 Hudson 308 water pump back in the 1980s.  I was unable to use it on my '53 Wasp as the fan shaft was too long.  Otherwise, I recall the pump body casting being the same as the 48-54 Hudson "big six" engine.  
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Hi:  On my website https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/ select the cooling section... on the cooling page select the ... differences between Hudson big block water pumps/  This will answer all the questions.  I would post a link... but my website is set up to deny page links. 

Ken 
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    Thanks Ken! Just as I figured - flange and shaft shenanigans!  Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out of any improved impeller magic. 😉