Reverse gone

I have lost reverse in my single lever overdrive trans. I hadn't had it out for awhile and when i went to take it out, clutch was stuck. So without much thought put gearshift in reverse, clutch in and started engine. Made couple light jerks but wouldn't move. Have tried several times to to get it to take reverse but won't. I can out it in reverse position with clutch out and will make slight mushy grinding noise.I'd had trouble with the in/out lever being hung on one position, lever was hung up between overdrive and direct. this action kinda freed it up but won't know for sure til I get the connecting pat the end of the cable. I'd had the cable off the lever for quite awhile. Any suggestions, solutions, guidance, or help?
     Thanks in advance ,
      Kim

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You need to ensure the lever on the side of the overdrive is fully back  with the cable in, and forward with the   cable pulled out. 
  • kamzack
    kamzack Senior Contributor
    Wish it was that simple. It's all the way back.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You need to push the lever right forward to put back in to direct drive and see if the reverse works. 
  • kamzack
    I have it on jackstands now to verify that. I'm sure reverse will work there but need cable end bolt and cable anchor so I'll be able to push and pull od system.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    My Hornet has no reverse if overdrive knob pushed in. No big deal, I just pull the knob out when I want to go backwards.  Much easier than stripping the  overdrive unit.  
  • kamzack
    That's what i intend to do. but I don't have bolt and bushing nor cable mount to accomplish this. Kind a eats on me when things don't function as they should.   Thank Geoff for your concern