1939 6 Cylinder Inlet Manifold holes in casting ?

Wondering if any body could help,
I have a couple of holes in the bottom of the casting on our 1939 6 cylinder inlet manifold and was wondering if they were supposed to be there ? One looks like it is maybe missing a drain/check valve or something but if you zoom in it also looks like it has been filled as sometime ? When the carb floods fuel comes out of the hole and drips on to the worrying,  I have been having running problems from about 40 mph up with the car coughing/missing then getting worse and worse to the point of having to turn round and head home, I was wondering if these hole are the problem 

Thanks in advance

Russell

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    They are corrosion holes, definitely not supposed to be there.  I think you need to replace the manifold.  the space inside here is  open to exhaust gases via the butterfly in the exhaust manifold, so this would certianly cause your running problems if exhaust and  inlet gases are being  mixed up together.
  • Yes, follow Geoff's advice, I have a 39 six and I don't have holes in the manifold. 
  • Brilliant, Thanks for the help guys, I think it may  be a case of finding a local aluminium welder as parts are a little hard to come by in the UK. The Railton owners Club have quite a few bits so I will give them a call. I will let you know if it cures my problem.  Thanks. Russell.   
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Hi Russell,

What 39 Six do you have? Love to hear more about it as I'm (as well as being the Club Webmaster) also the UK Rep for the club as well
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    Good luck, Railton Russ, with the ROC secondhand parts guy !
    For some reason, he never replies to emails or answers his phone when I've tried to contact him- in complete contrast to the fellow who runs the Club's new parts scheme (he's great).

I wonder if JB Weld putty might be at least a temporary fix for your manifold ?

P.S. If you're the same Russell who has been in email correspondence with me, how's the clutch problem working out ? 
  • Hello Paul, Not a real Hudson I am afraid, an imposter ! 1939 Railton 6 DHC Fairmile, One of only 2 made by Whittingham and Mitchell. 
  • Hello Old Fogey UK !
    You are right its me ! I haven't even looked at the car for 3/4 weeks , You know what it's like , The running problems got so bad it wouldn't even start so I thought I would leave it a while to muster up some more enthusiasm, And been busy at home as well with the house sale. 
    Yes I think JB weld might be a good start, Neil Thorpe from the ROC has been fantastic, Very very helpful, almost daily emails, " Have you tried this "  " Have you tried that "  " I have been speaking to someone about your problem and they said try this "  .  He said about looking at the manifold for cracks that could open up when hot as that was where my initial problems started,  Which was when I remembered about the holes in the bottom,  He suggested a pressure test the manifold to see if there is any corrosion internally, which I will try.
    I will send you an email , 
    Are you showing your car on Saturday at your local Car  Extravaganza ?  

Russell. 

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    edited September 2023
    Hi Russell,

A beautiful car indeed!

As David says JB Weld is the answer to an awful lot of issues. I repaired a couple of 1939 Hudson 112 headlamps using it and it gets liberally used around the house. 

Last usage was to repair a Hippopotamus's bottom :) 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    JBWeld will indeed fill the holes from the outside, but will have no effect on the inside where it is likely there is a leak between the intake and exhaust passages. 
  • Old Fogey UK
    Hi Russell,
    No I'm not at my local show on the Isle of Wight this weekend because I'm off to the Goodwood Revival with Mrs Fogey (she hates me calling her that! :D).
    All the best,
    David.
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Enjoy the revival David , looks as if the weather will be kind to you. I'll be watching via the web
  • Old Fogey UK
    It's been very hot at Goodwood, Paul, but - as ever - it's been a great experience.
    I think it's a much better event than Classic Le Mans.
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    It certainly was a great experience when I was last there in 2019.