Crown Vic front crossmember in a step down

Has anyone removed the front suspension crossmember in a step down and put one in from a Crown Vic? Looking to possible do this for more oil pan clearance for a front sump Caddy 429. I’ve looked everywhere to find a rear sump oil pan for that engine and no luck. Any help would be great. 

Comments

• That's a popular swap, but I've never seen it on a step down. Is the width close on the frame rails? Seems the slightly easier route would be to fab your own pan and sump/pick-up for the Caddy. Although, it would be interesting to see how a step down handles with that suspension.
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    I could be wrong (probably am), but can't you use an Eldorado pan?
  • I think you're right. I think he's saying he simply can't find that type  available for sale.
    I've seen guys cut pans in half longitudinally, turn them 180, and weld them back together. Sourcing the other pickup tube may still be the hard part. 
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    A little pricey but......
    I think 429-500 are basically the same blocks

• The 472/500 is totally different architecture and I also read about using an Eldorado oil pan but that is one year only. The last year of the 429 family is ‘67 and that’s the same year the front drive Eldo was introduced. So yes maybe some handy fab work to the pan and pick-up. 
  • ‘68 is when all cars went to the 472/500 family
  • Why not stick with the 4.6L Modular + AOD. I’ve often thought that would be a neat package in a restomod—--decent power, good gas mileage, and great handling! 
  • Well no offense but I’m not much of a Ford guy and I think that whole line of Mod motors from Ford are complete POS. Esp the trans. I’m a GM guy and I have a hard time w a 350 in a Hudson. Hudson was known for their engineering and I think if something aside from a big block Hudson engine is going to be there, it should impress. Caddy or maybe Olds. And I won’t ever do the LS swap. Nothing wrong w that engine just won’t. 
  • LS is the new 'belly-button' engine. They're good engines, but you can't throw a rock at a car show without hitting 3 or 4. Maybe even one so confused it's dressed up like a nailhead.🙄
  • Yeah and that’s why I won’t go SBC either. Wanting to keep the 50s horrid vibe, even a nail head Buick would cool
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Stick with Hudson Power!  We are working on the new 2x2 manifold that can also accommodate port fuel injection!  
  • What is the possible price of the new intake system? I've got a new Clifford intake now
  • Oh I’ll stick w Hudson power for everything else. And I am looking forward to the manifold. Just wanted to use that 429 in something 
  • StepUp
    StepUp Member
    edited October 2023
    No offense taken by any of my 509 BBC’s 650 horses ;)

• 50C8DAN
    At this point, we don't have pricing on the new manifold yet.  I am trying to keep it affordable and it is taking some effort.  The carbs - Weber downdrafts - not sidedrafts will cost about $150 ea for the Chinese knockoffs, and $300 ea for Spanish-made ones.  I am working on a linkage kit and fuel line kit that will be available.  As for those that want to go port fuel injection you will need to contact Bill Hamilton - Hamilton Fuel Injection for that pricing.

As for alternate engines - a Cad 429 would be interesting, but my current favorite is the now-discontinued (sadly) GM 4.2L Vortec inline 6.  Guys are doing some awesome stuff with this engine - close to 1,000 HP.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQImX9ajJF4&t=703s.  We still have our Buick Rainier with one that has over 225K miles and still runs great.  

Other alternates - I have a '56 Packard V8 in my Studebaker PU project truck!  I am adapting an Edelbrock fuel injection unit for big block Mopar.  Had I known more about the 4.2 before I started the Stude PU I probably would have gone that way instead.
  • I was kind of looking for a two carb intake for the 429 for added wow factor. 

The 4.2 is a great engine, when I had one it didn’t get very good fuel mileage, but I don’t care about that in a project car.

StepUp, that BBC is bad ass, I have two stock 454s in other trucks and another one on the bench I’ve thought about freshening up for something. 
  • superwasp
    superwasp Member
    edited October 2023
    I'm still baffled no one is producing an aftermarket intake for that 4.2. The factory unit is problematic for swapping and butt ugly to boot. Seems to me there's a decent market there no one is tapping. 
  • 50C8DAN
    I think the problem is that the 4200 is being put into all kinds of vehicles, mostly turbo and unlike a V type engine the width is an issue where they fit.  I know that there are guys making intake flanges for them so you can grow your own.

https://sites.google.com/view/vortec4200wiki/intake-manifold

As for mileage.  I just got 21 Mpg on my trip from Newark DE to Chattanooga last week.  Although that is not super thrifty it was still not bad!   I rented a Toyota 4 Runner to make the same drive a couple of months ago and I was lucky to hit 18 - 19.
  • True, the turbo guys represent a good portion of current 'swappers' and they're certainly function over form guys. I see a market for guys who want a replacement for their old Stovebolt and want something that aesthetically looks more similar to what they're removing. This look isn't in the ballpark in my mind. This and the somewhat convoluted process to cobble a MTX tranny to it is what's holding me back from swapping one into my Bel-Air.
  • Yeah I would get the same mileage, but my 1/2t Chevy w a 350 would get that too, so I was always disappointed. Loved the car though
  • StepUp
    StepUp Member
    edited October 2023
    The biggest problem I ran into when attempting to install the Atlas in a ‘52 Hornet (15 years ago) was the block’s height. If I remember correctly the crank’s center line sat above the front seat’s flooring which would have required significant custom fabrication work to make it fit. Darn shame since I considered it to be a THE perfect modern I6 to supplant the mighty King of the Flatheads 308ci. 
  • Interesting. Was that center line location with the OEM front sump or converted to rear sump? 
  • stevepet
    stevepet Member
    edited October 2023
    Being an aussie got to put in my 10c worth. If you going six cylinder have a look at the Ford Barra six. Some unbelievable numbers can be wrung out of these. I have heard someone is now importing them into the States.
  • 50C8DAN
    One of the nicknames of the Atlas 4.2L is the American Barra for that reason (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiDbJG8SRqM)  The front sump issue on the 4200 has been one of the handicaps.  There was a company making rear sump oil pans but they stopped earlier this year. Some are building their own now I see on the forums.  
  • The Crown Vic front end that I measured was about 67" wide from hub to hub. I didn't think that would work well in my 54 Hudson. That's why I went with my Jaguar setup. I liked the rear steer rack too.
  • Ok good point
  • StepUp
    StepUp Member
    edited October 2023
    SuperWasp——Yes, I had a custom “rear sump”  aluminum pan made and a new oil pick up tube for the Atlas but it still fought against being stabbed into the ‘52 Hudson (w/original front end and firewall). It’s a tall engine. I finally abandoned the Atlas idea when I realized the tail/drive shaft(s) would intersect the top of the body’s 2 or 3 cross members. So instead I sold the Atlas and installed a 327 SBC only to have a drunk tee bone me and total the car 4 months later. So in a strange way,  I was fortunate not to spend the additional time and money required to complete the Atlas…I still hope to see an Atlas powered Stepdown someday with a hair blower! I’m sure it can be done by modifying the front end and/or the firewall (my ‘52 was a Hollywood hence my initial reluctance to cut it up). All for nought.