Pulling rear brake hub

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
My '54's rear brake hub is refusing to budge. The driver side came off without to much effort but the passenger side is major stuck. I have been beating the puller (3 leg) and heating it off and on and it still is not moving. Anyone have a trick to get these off?  I have done many of these over the years but this one is not cooperating.

Comments

• I’ve used my impact gun on the puller, just keep the hub nut on the axle but backed off a few turns so you’re not wearing the drum and puller assy when it flies off suddenly lol. Maybe some heat while pulling
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    I agree with Cheyenne.  A Milwaukee Fuel M18 impact gun and the appropriate puller removes them without any effort.
  • Yes, that’s the gun that I use
  • 50C8DAN
    I finally got it off tonight. I used the Mongo puller. The regular one that I normally use was too wimpy I guess.
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    What brand is your "Mongo" puller?
  • I had the same problem. Tried using a heavy duty puller and heating the drum no luck. I ended up cracking the drum with a sledge hammer and it came off.

JC
  • 50C8DAN
    Here is my Mongo puller.  The other one was one of those three-legged things you get on Amazon, used to be made in the US now China! This one is USA Made.  Has a fourth leg if you need it
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Thanks for posting your success Dan.  I have a Blue Point USA Made puller that is very similar to your Mongo.  Cheers Ken Cates  
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    Owatonna Tool Co. (OTC) manufactures a traditional hub puller with a 20 ton pull force.