Bleeding brakes

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
I have bled the new brakes on my '54, with a new dual MC where the Tredlevac used to be.  For the life of me I cannot get these to firm up?  I have bled plenty of brakes over the years but this one is not getting any better after 6 rounds of bleeding.  Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Are the shoes adjusted up close? Also new drum brakes never work right for a while until they get worn in. 
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    That is the next thing I am planning to do.  I hate drum brakes and you are right they probably need to be readjusted now that I have everything bled out.  Thanks
  • My 53 hornet still has drum brakes and work perfectly. Although I’m not road racing it I have no problem with the way they work and I can stand that car on its nose in a hard stop lol.
  • 37 CTS
    37 CTS Senior Contributor
    Sometimes I feel like I am king of having problems getting brakes bled. 
    Usually if I have the problem, you are having it is that somewhere a connection is not tight enough, ck the hoses to cylinder connections and look for seepage. The connection must be very tight. If you rebuilt the wheel cylinders look at them for leak. Check any brake lines you worked on.
    BTW I have taught 3 wives how to help bleed the brakes on Hursons.
  • Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before you put it on the car? If you didn't do that you will need to do it.