Brand new head!

GrimGreaser
GrimGreaser Senior Contributor

Yup, installed last weekend:

Runs good, no weeping coolant (side-eye to old cast iron head), we'll see what a further tune up gets us... Good times!

Comments

• StepUp
    StepUp Member
    edited October 2023

Looking good! Interested in hearing more about performance impressions and gains.

BTW what's the canister---oil filter??

I think also see a heater shutoff valve with cable. For isolating unwanted hot water from entering cabin?

• GrimGreaser

The canister is a Frantz Filter and the valve is the heater control. I don't have a Ranco valve and previously installed a heater core from a '70's Ford... something... I can't remember.

• Got it, thanks for feedback. Have you run the engine yet with new head? Any related adjustments required to timing?

• GrimGreaser

About 40 miles. No major adjustments yet, just had to turn the idle speed way down.

• Turned down idle, humm, interesting, higher vacuum signal?

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor

The new head has a higher compression ratio than the older stock heads. If you increase the compression ratio of your engine and don't change anything else, your engine will see this as an advance in timing and as such will result in a higher engine vacuum. The new head will require some changes to the timing and idle settings from stock in most cases.

• Looks good! You have that oil filter plumbed to the oil pump for full flow?

• GrimGreaser

Sorry for the lack of updates - I'm running a solid copper head gasket and developed a bit of a combustion leak into the coolant. Nothing catastrophic, and was likely present with the old iron head, so I figured I would go down the rabbit hole of cutting the stainless-steel O-ring grooves in the head to properly seal the copper gasket. I'm stubborn, already have the gasket, and have the means to do it at work. Not going to lie - that little groove threads some tight needles.

Anyway - I'll have a post on all that probably after the new year when it's (hopefully) done.

As for the oil filter - I have a Vintage Full Flow system and have the Frantz plumbed as a bypass off of the full-flow filter, which is mounted where the fuel pump would usually be.