Splasher lost its oil pressure

My 1936 splasher 6 sat for 4 years. It was running perfectly with normal oil pressure. Just got it going today and there was no oil pressure according to idiot light. Pulled and cleaned pressure switch and also tested the circuit by disconnecting the wire from the switch. It's not the switch. Pulled the 5/16 line from the top of the oil pump; started the car briefly; no oil coming out. Read the Mech Proc Manual and vintage Motors Manual - no information on this issue. Plenty of oil in the car and has a non-leaking upper tray. My guesses are stuck oil pump plunger? or somehow lost prime? But I'm asking for your ideas. Thanks!

Comments

• You could have a blockage in the input pipe to the pump, yes, the pump might also needs to be primed, or the pump lever is broken. I'd remove the pump and service it. I'd also check if you can create suction to the input pipe to rule out blockage and check the output pipe. This should enable you not to have to remove the oil tray till you really know it's a blockage...just remember when you place the oil pump back the lever is sitting on top of the shaft not under the shelf. ...my bet it's blockage as the pump is really simple ...best of luck..

• Thanks, I'm pretty sure I'll need to pull the pump and take a look and check the lines. I'd like to think it just needs a prime, but I suspect that it's something else.

• Just in case anyone could use this information, I pulled the pickup line and lower elbow off; cleaned out the line, but it didn't seem to be plugged, and ran a mini snake down into the sump; than primed the pump with an oil can at the pump intake elbow; and voila, now have oil pressure. I don't know if it was a pluggage down in the area of the sump, or pump lost prime, but with the line off, might as well do both.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor

Pump was dry, and needed that bit of oil to start the cycle. It is gear driven, not lever driven, unlike the fuel pump. Can be primed by removing any of the pipes and squirting oil in usually.