Starter Solenoid Repair

philster
philster Expert Adviser

Has anyone out there refurbished one of these starter solenoids?

If so, how did you go about opening it up to carry out a refresh?

Comments

• The outer rim of the cover that the button goes through is swedged around the tubular base. If you can get that opened up a little bit all the way around, it will come apart. Beware. It is spring loaded. once you have the plunger and spring out, you can take the nuts off of the two big posts and turn the posts to where the plunger can make good contact again.

• What 54 coupe said was all correct. When you do pop it open, flip the thick copper washer the other way around for a flat new surface. If it blows apart and it won't work after putting it back together, let me know. I have a bunch NOS and decent used.

• philster
    philster Expert Adviser

Thanks for info. Prior to posting on the forum, I tried to lift the outer rim with a fine screw driver - but that didn't work, then I thought file it to try and make an edge with the same result.

I may have to put a small dent in the tube where the rim is crimped over to create an opening for the screw driver to do its work.

I will keep persevering. If unsuccessful, Lance, I may take you up on the offer.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor

Use a side-cutter plier to undo the edge of the can. Just distort the folded edge and lift off and work your way around.