36T front fender assembly

Hello again, I am at the point of putting newly painted front fenders on. Since this is a 'body-on' project, there is a problem: at the factory the fenders must have been installed first; then the body placed over the rear inside corner of the fender where it rests on the frame. Quite a few years ago when I took the fenders off, I remember prying the fender corners from between the body mount bracket and the body. But I'm now wanting to be gentle on the newly painted fenders. Should I cut off the rearmost portion of the lip which rests on the frame, so that nothing will have to be forced back under the body? It is difficult to lower the fender into place, while also needing to slip it horizontally between the body and the bracket. What have you done, if you've been in this situation?

Comments

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    edited January 24

I've reassembled a 35 and the front fender/body shell arrangement is as you describe it for the 36.

If it were me, rather than cutting things, I would be loosening the body bolts at the front of the shell and jacking up the front of the shell by 1/2" an inch or so.

• Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser

It's the same on a 1934 car.

I have used Bob's method and can recommend you do it that way.

• Thanks for the feedback! I will work on making the gap, as you both suggest. There's no doubt that to be able to assemble things in the order they did at the factory, and have all the jigs they used, would make life a lot easier.....but that's just a dream😏