39 Six will not start.

2»

Comments

• Val
    Val Member

I got it to turn, I took 2 16 inch 1/2 in drive extensions and put them thru the front where the crank to start the car would go. I used a breaker bar 40 inches long and was able to turn the motor. I turned it a full 360. Its dry cylinders. I will spray WD40 in the spark plug holes and keep turning until it gets smooth

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor

A.T.F. (Dexron 3) would be better than WD40

• Val
    Val Member

Thanks Geoff, I will do that. Or what about Marvel Mystery Oil?

• eddiehudson
    eddiehudson Senior Contributor, Member

Did you rough set the timing?

• Val
    Val Member

No not yet

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator

You said "bendix stuck". By any chance does your bendix get jammed in the flywheel gears, as soon as you push the starter button? (I had that problem for quite awhile until I checked the ground strap, only to discover that it was hardly grounding on the engine at all, due to heavy rust.)

• Val
    Val Member

No, it stuck just that once. I pulled the starter, and it was stuck. I did get it free, but I took the starter to have it rebuilt. the ground strap at the engine is clean. I did pull the plug wire from the distributor cap and found heavy corrosion. SO I replaced the brass ends of the plug wires and got a NOS auto lite IGB 1240 cap.

• tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser

If you don’t have ATF, Marvel mystery oil is better than WD-40.

regards, Tom

• Val
    Val Member

I did use Marvel Mystery Oil as I have a lot of that and no ATF. I got the timing mark set, I pulled the wires out of teh Distributor cap and found that 3 of the 6 were badly corroded. So I replaced teh brass ends on all six plug wires and I bought an NOS distributor cap, I clean the other and keep it for a spare as it fits perfectly on the distributor. The new one is a liitle tighter. I will lube the wire ends and the cap and install wires in the correct firing order as per the Mechanical Procedure Manual. I sent my starter out for a build and await to hear back that its done.

• Val
    Val Member

Got the car running again, she smokes a lot but I expected that with the oil I put in the cylinders.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor

So what was the problem in the end??

• Val
    Val Member

I believe it was the corrosion on the wires going into the distributor cap. But the condenser was very weak also so....??? But the corrosion surprised me then I remembered the heavy rainstorm at the international meet last year. So water must have gotten in the cap. The brass ends just crumbled in my hands so I would guess that had a lot to do with it, Glad to have it up and going again.