How to remove dome light 1934 Terraplane

Dome removal and also taillights lense installation with out breaking

Best Answers

• sshftn
    sshftn Member
    edited February 1 Answer ✓

My 36 dome light has an internal snap ring holding the plastic cover in the housing. Maybe yours is similar?

• Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    Answer ✓

I agree with Tom - NEVER use a screwdriver !!!

I've never using anything harder than fingertips and have still come to grief three times (with headlight lenses 😥).

David.

• sshftn
    sshftn Member
    Answer ✓

mbrig99 you weren’t kidding about the dome glass dropping fast!! I have the seats out and the floor covering rotted away decades ago. I was kneeling, hooked the snap ring with a metal awl, and as soon as I got one end started, it flew out, the glass dome bounced off my knee, and landed on the metal floor but luckily didn’t break. 😮‍💨 I thought I’d have time after I hooked the snap ring but nope!

Answers

• Old Fogey UK

I hope someone has answer to this because I have the same problem on my '34 Hudson !

• Old Fogey UK

In my case, dome light removal is the problem.

Taillight lenses are tricky, you have to gently press the bottom edge into the fitting and the top edge should pop out allowing you to remove the lens - a bit like the procedure for '34 headlights.

Having had several breakages (very expensive !) removing/installing lenses in this way, I've reached the conclusion that that the designer of this system of lens attachment must have been a lunatic !

• Can I suggest you place a large blanket under the tail light and a blanket over the bumper bar...the glass can pop out too quickly and fall anywhere. I like sitting on a small stool facing the light lens ..go gently pushing it on the bottom in gently while trying to get a small gap on the top of the lens. I put a small flat blade screw driver to gently lever the glass free. Most of the time you hear the edge of the glass making awful cracking sounds..take your time ..once you do it once and try the awful replacing the lens you'll realise it's a nerve racking process... remember the lens has a sharp edge which isn't smooth with generally chips and missing bits you don't see in its housing. It can make the process slot easy if you have a few spares ..just incase it breaks...headlights are just as frightening I'm afraid...cheers ken

• tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser

Don’t use a screw driver. If you have to “lever” it (you shouldn’t) use a plastic car trim tool or something similar.

regards, Tom

• Done light has a snap ring and once removed lense drops FAST be ready. I had seat out not sure how it didn’t break, got lucky. Tail light has “push here on top of lense, press in and you can create enough gap to remove. Chipping sounds are awful though. Headlights you have to loosen screw at bottom all the way then same thing push in on and lense will come out. Be patient. 3 clips on reflector are on springs. Push in on reflector twist clip 90 degrees and remove.

• Old Fogey UK

I have the a copy of the manufacturer's instructions for installing/removing 1934 headlight lenses.

If anyone would like a copy emailed to them, just message me.

David.