Under seat baffle

jjbubaboy
jjbubaboy Senior Contributor

I seem to remember a discussion about the under rear seat baffles like the one on my 36T.

I thought someone had reproduced them but cant remember...(CRS I guess) 😁

Anyone recall about this?

Thanks,

Jeff

Comments

• tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser

I have one on my ‘35 T-plane

regards, Tom

• Lance
    Lance Member

Do you need one? If so let me know.

• jjbubaboy

OK Lance will do!

Thanks,

Jeff

• sshftn
    sshftn Member

What’s the under seat baffle?

• tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser

I believe he is talking about an under the rear seat oval shaped hole in the floor that has a raised lip around the perimeter. The hole is covered by a fabric piece that has a wired edge that holds the fabric in place by engaging the raised lip around the hole. It has been so long since I popped the seat up I cannot recall what the material the factory used, maybe leather??

I will take a look again when I am out in the garage.

After all that, he may not even be talking about that. Haha…

regards, Tom

• jjbubaboy

Yes Tom, you are correct! I'm not sure what it's made out of either. Seems like a heavy cloth and maybe a 'duck cloth' type of material..

I'm not sure either as mine is pretty worn..

Thanks,

Jeff

• 54coupe
    54coupe Member

Made of some type of canvas. My '36 has one, and so does my '40. In 41 they went to something different. All of mine are exactly over the center section of the rear end.

• sshftn
    sshftn Member

So that’s what that’s called! I thought something was missing from mine. It’s just left open for ventilation? Nothing actually covers the hole?

Jeremiah

• tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser

It is all there in your pic except the cloth has dry rotted. But that is what my cover is made of I see now.. kind of a light canvas.

regards, Tom

• 54coupe
    54coupe Member

This hole lets air into the car when you open your doors, and lets it escape when you close them.

• Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor

It is also used fur the cowl vent when the vent is open fresh air comes in the cabin then under the front seat and out the whole in the back there are two oval shaped spring wires that hold it in place part of the cloth drops through the hole in the floor then you compress the lower wire and feed it through the hole and let go of the wire and it springs tight to hold it in place and the one on top snaps tight to hold the whole thing in place I think I still think I have three more of these left that I had made by another members wife and they are great she put a lot of time in them they look just like factory.

• sshftn
    sshftn Member
    edited March 9

Rocket, are you selling them? I’ve got both the top and bottom spring wires, just need the cloth.

• tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    edited March 9

I have my doubts about the theory the hole is there to vent the car for the opening and closing of the car doors. The cars don’t seem to that well sealed…but I could be wrong. It may dampen out the pressure changes when only 1 window is open. I don’t know. 🤷🏿‍♀️

regards, Tom

• It's room for when the suspension bottoms out. It allows the differential housing to pooch up into the space. If it had been solid metal, they would have had to provide a higher clearance of the body to the chassis.

• sshftn
    sshftn Member

I’m sure that made for an interesting ride in the back seat!

• ken1962
    ken1962 Member

Rubbish , it's not there for suspension...it's clearly described in the 1936 Hudson new car catalogue as a new feature for ventilation...air goes thru the windows etc and out the hole in the back ..nothing more ...cheers ken

• ken1962
    ken1962 Member
  • sshftn
    sshftn Member

Oh, so it’s the cabin air intake. Does anybody have pictures of the filtering bag?

• jjbubaboy

Hey Rocket,

I sent you an email.

Thanks,

Jeff

• KEL 39
    KEL 39 Member

This is what it looks like on my '39 92 series convert. (12"X14" )

It is the same on my '39 92 series 2Dr Sdn. It is a metal cover spot welded over a round hole covered with a canvas like material. The material in this case is long gone!!!!

I have often wondered if you have an exhaust leak ,will you get the benefit inside the car?

Ivan L.

• That is completely different than the solid canvass cover of the hole on earlier cars. Which would not allow any ventilation. That's rubbish.

• Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor

Jeff I did not get your email Tom.

• jjbubaboy

Hey Tom,

If you haven't changed it, I sent it to your yahoo email addy.

Mine hasn't changed.

Thanks,

Jeff