Oil capacity

Hi Everyone

As i have engine and gearbox out I might as well change the oil in gearbox and overdrive units. Have read several conflicting reports on oil capacity. Is it the usual fill until you can touch top of oil level or is there a specific quantity required and what grade would you recommend.

Regards

Steven

Comments

• railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    edited March 6

I use PennGrade 80W-90, "Classic, Multi-Purpose Gear Oil (meets the performance requirements of AP/GL-4)" in the transmission/overdrive and differential of my Super Wasp. There are other brands of transmission oils out there that are also safe to use with "yellow" metals found in older transmissions and differentials.

• stevepet
    stevepet Member

Thanks. Do you know what quantities are required?

• railknight

You should be able to find the quantities required in your Hudson Owner Manual or a Hudson mechanic's manual (if you have either). For example, on a '54 Hudson the fluid capacity of a manual transmission with overdrive is 3 1/2 pints and the rear axle 3 pints (both U.S. measurements). Hope that helps and "Happy Motoring!"

• stevepet
    stevepet Member

Thank you. Now to covert to rest of world measurements. About 1.7 litres.

Thanks railnight

• railknight

You're welcome. Those metric ("rest of the world") capacities are 1.6 Kgs. and 1.36 Kgs. respectively according to my 1954 Hudson Owner Manual (Hornet - Super Wasp - Wasp).

• stevepet
    stevepet Member

litres mate. Ha ha

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor

Fill both transmission and overdrive to the level of the filler plugs. Check the condition of the oil seal on the overdrive output. If any sing of wetness, replace the seal.

• stevepet
    stevepet Member

Thanks Geoff. Yes have replaced seal.

Cheers

Steven