Tips for putting on 225/75r15 rear tires on 52 hornet?

I had to take my rear tires off the other day and putting them back on was challenging to say the least. I got it done, but it was not easy. The tires are 225/75r15 and I have seen a lot of discussion about this being difficult with this size tire.

I was wondering if anyone had tips or advice on doing this that might make it easier?

Thanks in advance!

-Lance

Comments

• 54coupe
    54coupe Member

I raise the car up by the rear frame so the rear end drops as low as possible. This gives a lot more space to work. You might get even more spring extension by disconnecting the lower end of the shocks. Side note: when I put the 275/60-15's on my car, I do this, and i have to let all the air out of the tires, then reinflate after they're bolted up to the drums.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor

No exactly convenient if y ou are on the road and have a puncture!

• 54coupe
    54coupe Member

If you're on the road and get a puncture, it's already flat. I carry a normal sized spare tire.

• I have jacked the car under the axle on the opposite side to get the spring to drop even more on the side you’re changing. Best on concrete with a good jack.

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor

I did mine the same way as cheyenne did.

• These are all great tips! I’ll definitely be giving them a try next time I need to remove my rear tires.

Thanks for the suggestions!