Need a cast iron piston

barrysweet52
barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
edited May 10 in Hudson 1916 - 1929

A man in New South Wales Australia has his motor in a recond shop and finds that he needs a new cast iron piston for his 1920, 22 or 23 Hudson. His motor has the carby on one side and only the exhaust on the other side. What are the differences between 1920, 22 and 23? I sent him a cast iron piston out of a 1923. He wants a piston with 2" centre of pin to the top. My centre of pin to the top was 7.4mm longer (Hoopert 138). Im surprised that Hudson used different piston heights. Perhaps someone fitted a non Hudson piston. 1924 was when Hudson first used aluminum pistons. SO pls look in your sheds and let me know if you have a spare piston. TIA ozhudson@gmail.com

There are not many 1920 to 29 Hudsons in Australia. Those that we do have are mostly restored or people are not working on them. I have 7 motors and a lot of parts. Haven't sold any parts in 30 years so Im reducing what I have. I have a 1924 Hudson 7 seat tourer that was rebuilt in 1934 during the depression to be a hearse. It was a common thing then to use the big USA cars to convert to a hearse, tow truck, ambulance or fire truck. You see strange things on old motors. https://photos.app.goo.gl/4NgEHbJvweHq8feE7

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor

The earlier Hudson used clamped piston pins, and were 2" compression height. The rod was slotted across the top, and a bolt went into a cut-out in the piston pin to locate it, and then the rod was clamped tight on the pin, which rotated in the piston boss.

• barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser

Thanks Geoff.