Hudson Hornet Tyres

Trevor J
Trevor J Expert Adviser

Hi there.

What are the recommendations for a white wall radial tyre on a 1953 Hudson Hornet Sedan.

The owner is looking for a soft riding tyre

Answers

• atc
    atc Member

I post on here a lot about my Diamond Back tires. I don't work for them or anything, I just really like them. They're a great driving, soft and quiet tire. Way better than my old bias plies. They also have a really nice wide white wall; not as good as my old Goodyears but definitely better at steering and stopping.

• ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser

I also recommend the Diamond Back tires. The Diamond Back I tires are a modern radial, run smooth and even balanced well on the original Hudson rims.

• Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser

What size do you recommend for the 1953 Hornet and can you recommend suppliers. I am in NeweZealand and looking at importing them here. Thanks.

• ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser

I run 225/75R15 tires on my 53 Hornet.

• atc
    atc Member

I use 215 75R15, but I know a lot of folks use 225s. Any larger and it gets tough to change the rears on the side of the road, IIRC. Not sure about suppliers, I buy direct from DB.

• stevepet
    stevepet Member

I am running Kontio Whitepaws on my wasp 225/75 15. Purchased from Stuckey tyres in Coburg Melbourne. Freight maybe cheaper from Oz

• StepUp
    StepUp Member
    edited May 30

I run 235/75R15 BFGoodrich Silvertown Radials with 2.875" white walls on my '53 Hornet. IMHO the best handling tire but pricey @$340 USD per corner.

Installing and removing the rears is a royal PIA to say the least and not a job for the risk averse!(smarter people hire this out), but can be accomplished with (3) strategically placed jacks and (2) jack stands---the first jack (heavy duty) under the frame in front of the target tire (at the Y), the second and third jacks (light duty) under the rear differential just a few inches inboard of the brake backing plates.

With both rear tires raised off the ground 3-4" and the (2) heavy duty jack stands (minimum 2 tons each) placed on the aft ends of the frame rails (just fore of the rear bumper) supporting the car in the air, I'm able to manipulate the swing of the differential (up/down) on both sides via the two differential jacks, while also slightly adjusting the jack at the "Y". Note during this process there are times when one side, or the other (not both at once), of the frame rails will lift approximately 1" off its heavy duty stand (hence introducing some risk). By swinging the diff up/down and the Y up/down, I'm gradually, in steps, with muted cussing, somehow able to "free" these fat tires out/into of position.

Disclaimer ---I am not advocating or recommending performing this feat. It can be unsafe if done in haste and/or absent mindedness. I'm only sharing how I've managed to get the fatties on and off (I've also jumped out of perfectly good airplanes). BTW, yes I carry a heavy duty jack, two light duty jacks, two heavy duty jack stands, and an assortment of wooden blocks in the trunk next to the spare (@pressure). Bible's in the glove-box...

• Sounds like a good idea to not run 235s, not worth it on the side of road or to carry extra stuff. 225s are sufficient.