Wanted Wheel 1922-23 Hudson

Looking for a rear and front metal hubs and wheels for my 1923 Hudson.

the front hub is 8 inches across with 12 bolts. The rear hub is 7 inches across

with 8 bolts. The metal part with wooden spokes is 25 inches in diameter.

Robert Hurst

rhurst@nternet.com

Comments

• What’s wrong with the ones you have?

• rhurst
    rhurst Member

Nothing wrong with them just want two more mounted in case of a flat.

• You have demountable rims. You don’t need spare wheels. You simple un-do the 6 rim clamps and the tire and rim come off your wheel. You spare tire carrier cannot support the weight of tire and rim with the wheel in place.

• rhurst
    rhurst Member

Thanks Paul,

On my 1923 Hudson the spares are on the running boards. The full wheel I think can be

supported there. They would also look good with the spokes varnished.

Robert

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor

It would be purely for looks, as it is not practical for instance to replace easily the back wheel, as you would need a puller to remove the hub from the taper., plus the brake drum is attached to the wheel. Likewise, the front hub is full of grease, so you would have to somehow seal this off from the inside to keep dust out of of the bearing. Plus the extra weight of an entire wheel on the fender is likely to lead to problems. You would need a front wheel and a back wheel. Over to you of course, but form a practical standpoint there is nothing to be gained.

• rhurst
    rhurst Member

Thanks Geoff,

Yes it is also the look I want. Right now I have two tires and rims on each side of my running board. I know the weight of the front wheel is 90 lbs so I would have an additional 100 lbs plus on each of the running boards.

I do have a wheel puller and thought that I would have to pull the rear wheel off to change a flat tire. Am I hearing people right that I only have to remove the clamps on the rim to change a flat tire and not pull the wheel off. That just sounds too easy? Please explain.

Robert

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor

Yes, the rims are demountable, just remove the lugs and pull the rim off the wheel by giving it a good yank on the side opposite valve. The wheels are not easily removed, particularly the rear ones which have the brake drum attached, plus the drum would make it difficult to mount on the side of the car.

• rhurst
    rhurst Member

This all makes very good sense Geoff. I took a look at the wheels again and can now see how the rims separate from the tires. Guess I was thinking too modern where you remove the wheel to fix the tire.

They were way ahead of their time! Much too easy.

Thanks again for all your help.

Robert

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor

Once you have the rim off, you deflate the tyre, and remove the rim from the casing, using either a proper rim spreader, or a large screwdriver to lift one edge of rim the over other and corkscrew the rim out of the casing. I have made a video of this, if you contact David@websters.co.nz for a copy.

Geoff

• rhurst
    rhurst Member

Thanks again Geoff,

looks like all I need is another outer rim. I measured mine and it is 27 inches in diameter.

This way I would have another tire and rim ready to go. Are the 27 inch outer rims easy to come by?

I'm going to contact David for a copy of the video.

Robert

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser

Robert , you need to do a trial run of changing the rim , in your garage or driveway. On the side of the road is not a good learning spot.😃

• rhurst
    rhurst Member

Great idea

Does anyone know a source for the 27 inch rim. My tires are 34 x 41/2 so is there a size number for the rim?

Robert

• rhurst
    rhurst Member

I think I got that wrong. I was told you take the tire width double it and subtract it from the size so I would

need a 25 inch split rim. Any thoughts as to where I could get two?

Robert