46 Super charging curcuit

engr1962
engr1962 Member

Have my 46 212 wired with my VRR4001A regulator since I found the pin marking. Shorted B to A to polarize the system. Started the car, GEN light goes out, it is charging at about 30 Amp, but when I turn off the key, the main relay STAYS CLOSED. This leaves the battery to the Amature of the generator and the generator is not very happy about that. Luckily I had the cover off of the regulator when that happened and could pop it open before the generator burned up.

With only the battery connected to the regulator, I find that if I manually close the main relay, it will stay closed. I can't see how this is a good idea, and is likely why mine is getting stuck close when running the engine.

Does this mean I have a short in my regulator? Or something else wrong?

This silly charge system is kicking my butt!

/dan

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor

The regulator needs a thorough check over. It should not charge 30 amps all the time, only for a very brief period after starting, and the voltage regulator should kick in and reduce the charge rate. If you don't know what you are doing, don't fiddle with it, get a qualified auto-electrician to do it.

• engr1962
    engr1962 Member

Just to let anyone know who reads these postings, I found the problem with my charging circuit. When the generator was rebuilt (GEC4801A) there are two wires that screw onto two of the 3 brushes. One from the field coil and one from the arm stud. They were installed backwards. I found a drawing from 1939 from autolite that showed the wiring diagram of the generator, that is how I determined it was backwards.

It works now. Thanks to all who read!

dan

• eddiehudson
    eddiehudson Senior Contributor, Member

Thanks for posting.