Subframe on stepdown

Has anyone attempted to put a full frame under a step down Hudson? I only ask this question to see if anyone is even attempted to do it. Would it even be possible to do with the correct subframe underneath the car?

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser

I have not done this myself, but a fellow who posts on the HUDSON CLUB Facebook page placed a Crown Victoria frame under a 48-49 convertible. I do not know the individual.

• Sounds like a novel concept

• Lance
    Lance Member

Wookie, There actually was a factory authorized project produced by the A.O. Smith company to see if a chassis could be manufactured to accommodate the stepdown body. They produced the product but the suits at Hudson felt the cost was too high to put the concept into production.

• And I'm guessing that it was never drawn up somewhere

• Would this by chance be the same A.O. Smith that sells hot water heaters now?

• railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    edited July 18

Yes, Milwaukee, WI based A.O. Smith continues to produce water heaters and other water use products. They apparently exited the auto frame business about 1997 when they sold that division to Tower International.

• So I take it that this prototype never happened

• Lance
    Lance Member

Oh it was produced but as to where it is now??????? Who knows.

• 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    edited July 18

There is someone on the Hudson Modified facebook page that is doing one right now. His name is Brian Jarrett, and he is using a 77 Lincoln Continental.

• I like the chance to talk with this fella about that project