Rear Window installation tips 1946 Super Six Sedan

Last piece of my interior is to put in the rear window. I have new rubber from Wildrick's.

First question: how tight do I pull the rubber around the window before I cut it off and glue the ends together?

Second Question: Do I need adhesive between the rubber and the glass, and the rubber and the steel?

Third Question: I have rope to pull around it, but it doesn't stay in place very well unless I put it in the big groove meant for the steel flange. Is that where it goes? Outside in, start from the bottom? Top? Side?

Any and all tips to get this window in will be greatly appreciated!

thanks, dan

Comments

• Dan, I put Wildrick rubber in all windows in our 36T coupe, with my son's help. It looks great. Assuming 46 rubber is similar to 36, it's a royal pain to install (much more difficult than modern types). What we did was start it at the side center of the glass and glue one end of the rubber seal to the glass and let it dry....then you can install it on around, gluing it along the way, pulling just slightly, until you get back to the start. Cut it a little long (you don't want to end up short). Then to get the 2 ends tight together, you will either have to trim a bit off, or if you need a bit more, you can stretch it a bit to close the gap, and glue the ends together (tape them together until the glue dries if necessary). Let the rubber to glass adhesive dry before proceeding. We also used adhesive between the rubber and steel. The neatest way to do this is to install the rubber and glass unit dry, and then after it is installed, peel back the outer lip and poke some adhesive down in the gap (and have some cleanup solvent ready to clean up the oozes and smears). I think I remember that on some units we applied some adhesive first, but it became messy as we struggled to get the unit installed. The basic method we used was to have one person pushing from the inside, while the other person used a couple of different radiator hose tools to pull the exterior rubber lip out and over the metal frame. We wrapped the end of the hose tool in a little duct tape so that it did not poke or break the rubber. One problem we had, especially with the windshield pieces, was that the glass/rubber units were too large for the openings.....so I clamped a belt sander upside down in a vise and ground a bit of the rubber off all around. I think it was due to the glass cutter making the pieces a little too large, but in any case you might want to try to dry fit the units before gooping them up with adhesive, or getting it part way installed and find out it's too tight and will have to come back out. Since there may be some differences between 36 and 46 rubber seals, the above methods may not all apply. Once you get started, you will come up with some of your own methods....and even if you don't normally swear, you will be doing some of that! Hope this helps. Jared

• jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    edited September 26

Great info Jared, thank you!

I'm getting ready to do all the glass in my 36T and want all the info I can get as I know it's not going to be a simple project...

What did you use for 'glue'? I would assume butyl rubber caulk?

Jeff

• I'll get back to you....I need to take a look at my 'goo tubes'.

• I used Butyl rubber sealant only in the center windshield area where the two panels meet {behind the center vertical chromed trim piece). That is the area that is quite likely to leak if you don't get it gobbed up pretty good. For the sealing between glass/rubber and metal/rubber I used "Windshield and Body Sealant" made by the Laurence company, but there are other makers. It comes in a caulk tube. If I remember correctly, I think I also used 3M "Black Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive". It comes in a squeeze tube and was quite convenient to squeeze under the outer lip without dispensing too much. I am not an adhesive expert - I'm sure there are other products that other people use. The important thing is to have rags and solvents ready so you can clean up as you go, Make sure it won't damage your paint. I think I used wax and grease remover, but I'm not positive. I can't remember every detail, but hope this helps.

• Update: I got my rear window in after a few experiments, wrapping the rope around the window twice was the gimmick to get it. First layer of rope got the outer lip in place, then the inner one got the big lip over the metal weld flange. I took off the trunk lid and had 2 people stand there in the trunk and push on the windshield where I was pulling on the rope. The last foot was the most difficult, and then this "POP" sound when the last bit snapped into place. ahhhh that was nice. Thanks for all the suggestions!