Have fallen in love

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Several years ago while reading Hemings Motor News I saw an ad for a Hudson truck and that was it...

I am not in a rush, but would like to know more about the history of the hudson trucks and if anyone knows of a late 30's model that is for sale. What is a reasonable price to pay for a clean restoreable truck or a clean restored truck?

Thanks.

Lance

Comments

• If you wish to pursue your dream you might wish to join the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club (unless you're already a member). That way you can acquaint yourself more with Hudsons and Hudson trucks of the era you enjoy, in the Club's nice magazine....and comb the classified ads for a suitable truck for yourself. The Club's homepage is located at http://www.hudsonclub.org/ .

Hudson pickup trucks regularly come onto the market but usually it's the postwar (1946-7) versions you see. (If you scroll back a couple pages on the Forum, you'll see one for sale, for example.) The '42 and earlier ones are more scarce but they do pop up from time to time. Locally, a pair of really junky 1946-7's sold for $200 maybe 5 years ago. On the other hand, a completely restored '37 Terraplane pickup truck was sold for $50,000 at about the same time. Last fall a '39 pckup was advertised in the Club magazine for $200. A month later a 1947 pickup was advertised for $17,500. The prices are all over the board.
  • Hi Lance:

Here's a link to a '37 Terraplane pickup on the Collector Car Trader Online site. The ad says it's completely restored and it's listed at $37,500. That's all I know about it.

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/9/8/66217498.htm

Tim
  • Hudson made more than pickup trucks; between 1933 and 1939, for example, the also produced Panel trucks, station wagons, sedan deliveries, taxi cabs, and in 1941 they produced a Divco style van truck - looks like one of those old milk trucks that we used to see on the streets. As the man said most of the pickups still surviving are 46-47 pickups; panel trucks are rare to the point of extinction - I personally know of two 1935 panel deleivery's and a 38. Station wagons are bit more numerous - over the years I've seen or heard of about a half dozen here and there. A look at the registration figures from Alex B's website, will explain why: 401 Dovers in 1929, 589 Essex's in 1930, 517 Terraplanes in 1934, 638 in 1935, 1,905 in 1936, 4,823 in 1937, 719 in 1938 (all commercial vehicls in the 30's were Terraplanes - anything else would be a custom built job). From 1939 up all were Hudsons and the numbers are 401 in 1939, 769 in 1940, 736 in 1941, 2,534 in 1946 and the same in 1947.
  • I have a '36 Terraplane 2-door sedan. I received the HET National Club 2002 - 2004 member's book a couple weeks ago. I went through and highlighted all the 1936 Hudson vehicles and found there were 95 registered with the club - nation-wide. There was only 1 panel truck, 12 pickups, and 15 other 2-door sedans. All others were coupes and 4-door sedans. Now finding out that there were only 1905 '36 Terraplanes built, I see how scarce these cars really were.
    DW
  • Thanks to all for your posts. I will keep my eyes on the board and will probably join the Hudson club as suggested. Meanwhile, if anyone should hear of a restoreable pre-war truck, please feel free to post or email me at [email="lsabouni@yahoo.com."]lsabouni@yahoo.com.[/email]
This discussion has been closed.