What other gas tanks fit hudson?

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
My '54 Hornet Special has the most severe gas tank rust I have ever seen. I thought about cleaning it out but with the baffle in there I can't even see half of the inside of the tank. The car would run if I replaced the tank and rebuilt the carb. I don't really care if the tank is not original and was wondering if anyone has ever used one out of a more modern vehicle, maybe a truck. If you know of a tank that is about the same size and will just be a bolt in job or someone making new tanks let me know. Thanks, Mike.

Comments

• dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    Glen Johnson in Bingham City, UT rebuilds tanks and sells them reasonable. He runs ad in WTN. :)
  • Greetings from Colorado!

I just received my gas tank back from my local radiator shop. He did a wonderful job. He boiled out the tank, checked all of the seams for leaks and verified that the tank was safe. He rewelded the vent tube connection and replaced the drain plug seat in the bottom of the tank. The tank looks like new.

The sending unit and pickup tube were pulled prior to taking it to the shop. The tank was first cleaned out with a power washer and then a large bottle of straight Lysol was sloshed around inside. We let the Lysol sit for several days in the tank and then power washed it again. This was done to gid rid of the "varnish smell" of old gas. The shop man said that if the tank was not pre-cleaned in this manner. his dip tank would stink for months...

The next step is to clean the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump. The fuel pump is currently awaiting a rebuild...

The only question that I have now is: What do I use to replace the material that was on top of the ribs to cushion the tank from the trunk floor? It looks like a form of felt. Any ideas?

George T
  • LI also restore gas tanks and coat them ilnside wilth a hard alcohol resistant aircraft coating. I have a 54 tank on hand they are different than 4l8 to 53 which are interchangeable. also have reproduction sending units and restored pickup tubes sending units are 65.00 each BILL ALBRIGHTS VINTAGE COACH, 16593 arrow bl, fontana, ca 92335 ph 909 823 9168
  • POR 15 sell a fuel tank repair kit that works just follow the enclosed instructions.
  • The crankshaft pulley on a 1950 Hudson I am trying to restore is broken, I do not have the part that is missing so I cannot weld it back. The pulley seems to have the harmonic balancer as part of it. Anyone know where I can find one? I have looked all over the web without sucess so far.
  • The radiator shop solution sounded interesting, my gas tank has a large hole in the top from rust. I could weld new metal over it if the rest was good, think a radiator shop could check it out?
This discussion has been closed.