TRANS STUCK IN FIRST & REVERSE

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
AFTER CLEANING THE CLUCH WITH KEROSENE AND ADDING TYPE F TRANS FLUID IN PLACE OF CLUTCH OIL WHICH I WAS TOLD WOULD WORK BETTER I CAN NOT SHIFT INTO 2 OR 3.WHAT WOULD BE THE PROBLEM. MAYBE TO MUCH FLUID? :confused:

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Check a couple of things. What you did should not affect shifting in any way.

1. Your spline may be dry so the clutch disk won't slide easily. and will cause hard hard shifting but in all gears. There is a grease fitting half way up on the right side of the tranny. Give it 2 or 3 shots with a hand grease gun, no more. Work the clutch a few times and it should free up.

2. The linkage is out of adjustment. If you have a single lever and cable, the cable may be stuck. Dribble penetrating oil on it from the end of the steering (shift) column until it frees up. Then make sure it transferres from 1,R when the shift lever is pulled towards you, to 2,3 when it is moved away from you. Some adjustment at the transmission may be needed.

If you have a late 52 on, you probably have a 'double lever' tranny. One of the levers, and rods do the above operation and may have dropped off the pin or be out of adjustment also. The mechanical procedures manual gives adjustments for both types.
  • davegnh
    davegnh Expert Adviser
    Josh is probably correct in what he says, another possibility is that the corks have swollen up and there is not sufficent clearance when you disengage the clutch. How much fluid did you put in? I think it is supposed to be 6 or 8 oz. I would think that you would not be able to get it in any gear if the corks had swollen, but it is a possibility.
  • thanks guys,problem solved,broke cable.
This discussion has been closed.