Getting There Maybe???

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Well, after months now, I finally have the cash for my chem dip and should arrange sometime in the next 2-3 weeks to have it trailered over there.

I'm really excited 'cause this means (after the dip) I can start doing the fun stuff! First the primer. Then the Fatman's stub and front suspension. Then the engine/tranny, c-notch, 4-link,...and on...and on.

Its been a long summer and I'm jonesing!

Jay

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    jsrail wrote:
    Well, after months now, I finally have the cash for my chem dip and should arrange sometime in the next 2-3 weeks to have it trailered over there.

I'm really excited 'cause this means (after the dip) I can start doing the fun stuff! First the primer. Then the Fatman's stub and front suspension. Then the engine/tranny, c-notch, 4-link,...and on...and on.

Its been a long summer and I'm jonesing!

Jay

Great News!

Seems sometimes it takes much longer to save up for things that are "damming-up" the project and it really feels great when another milestone gets hit.

If I lived closer I'd tow it there and back for you for a home cooked meal and a cold beer! Right now that drive would kill me!

Really one thing I wanted to add...aren't you glad in some ways its taken a little longer...1. you'll have a better build, 2. I bet you've changed your mind a few times so far on parts-n-pieces - I know I have!
  • rambos_ride wrote:
    If I lived closer I'd tow it there and back for you for a home cooked meal and a cold beer! Right now that drive would kill me!

Really one thing I wanted to add...aren't you glad in some ways its taken a little longer...1. you'll have a better build, 2. I bet you've changed your mind a few times so far on parts-n-pieces - I know I have!

Well, you make it down here anytime and have a meal and a beer! My wife's a great cook!

You're right about the changing of mind stuff. For sure many things have and continue to change in my head, though I try to stay more practical about it now (unless I just go off on a tangent!). And I've gotten more info and more tips and tricks here and from guys locally that will save me more hassle and cash then if I'd gone off on my own. And listening to and others on the forum and guys around here lets me see issues and solutions that you've guys have had to deal with before I will have to. Great for me.

Now I'm very anxious to get going and maybe get a couple things done before tax season chains me to the dreaded desk!

Jay
  • mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Good morning,
    Great to hear you are reaching another milestone in it's construction. Yippeeee!!! Yes you are right sometimes the best thing that can happen to us it that we are hindered along the way. Boy, I've made my share of mistakes and changes and it is nice to be able to pick up information along the way that keeps us out of trouble and our money safe in our wallets.
    I'm going thru one of those lessons right now causing much consternation and more financial output. I'll pass it on to you so you guys won't have go thru it. My car is not in the bodyshop now but moved to the media blasters. The whole car body is having to be bead blasted. As you remember, it has already been taken to Houston and dipped and then back to San Antonio for the epoxy primer. We shot 1 1/2 gallons of primer on the bare metal which was more than enough in my opinion. Well the WHOLE car started rusting again as if there were no primer on it. Now here is the strange part. The front clip was NOT dipped but bead blasted and shot with the SAME BRAND of epoxy primer by a different person. It also started rusting all over. Conclusion is that it has to be the primer. My decision was to have it re-stripped here by media blasting was a financial one. By the time I paid for the cost of renting a trailer twice, motel twice, gasoline for two trips, cost of re-stripping and lost time it made sense to strip it here. The media blaster is not charging me for the front clip since they were the ones who primed it. That was nice of them. Anyway, $400 later, I'll regroup and reacess whats next but, I WILL NOT GIVE UP. I have come too far.
    Have a great day you guys
    and Peace,
    Chaz

P.S. Brand of primer we both were using was Transtar 2K epoxy primer/sealer
  • I've been watching your comments on this issue Chaz as I know this is coming up for me. My neighbor is using an epoxy primer (doesn't sound like this brand, but can't remember the name exactly, but I'll double check) that he says has been real goos for them. They last used it on a '49 Merc and a '67 Scalinetti (sp?) Ferrari. I've seen the Ferrari and it is beautiful! He's already got enough set aside for my Coupe, so I'm going to give it a try. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Jay
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    mrsbojigger wrote:
    P.S. Brand of primer we both were using was Transtar 2K epoxy primer/sealer

Chaz - sorry to hear about the hiccup...

I'm not a big Transtar fan, but the primer would not be the cause of rusting - unless it allowed moisture to penetrate to the bare metal which catalyzed epoxy won't do.

If there is rust most likely it was do to grubby fingerprints from touching the bare metal without gloves on (possibly while moving and or prepping for the original primer), contamination between the time the bead blasted and primed - I've seen places where cars sit a day or so before they do anything with them, this allows moisture in the air, or other contaminants to settle on the metal.

If this outfit is not setup with a good spraying system, you could be getting contaminants from their airlines as well...

I'm also wondering if they possibly used a water-based wax/grease remover to wash the panels first...residue or improperly applied might cause this to occur...?

I know a lot of people who bead blast then immediately primer, I've never felt comfortable with the metal surface after bead blasting 1) from the peening effect it has and 2) dust residue from the stripping process gets embedded and to have automotive type paints stick correctly neither of these is good!

So I'm someone that preps metal for primer after stripping no matter what the method. I use 80grit on a da and by hand - being extremely careful not to touch any of the bare metal with bare skin!

Then I use lint free rags to wipe the car down with a solvent based wax and grease remover like DX330 - I don't like the water-based stuff at all!

Then, either etching wash primer (this is the thin build stuff not high build) or acic etch the metal by hand. Folloed by epoxy primer to seal, then high build primer for blocking, followed by topcoat sealer then topcoat paint.
  • god damn website! who's this idiot that keeps showing up when I post pics! I have no troubles on the other website I post to.

Jay "ranting loudly!"
  • I'm tired of seeing the dude with the mustang. I can't understand why he keeps popping up, when I went into the properties of the pic file and pasted the pic address into my browser I was able to see Jay's pics just fine. I'm going to try hosting Jay's pics on my server to see if that works better.....
    jay1.jpg
    jay2.jpg
    jay3.jpg
    jay4.jpg
  • looking good Jay!!!
  • faustmb
    faustmb Senior Contributor
    royer wrote: »
    I'm tired of seeing the dude with the mustang. QUOTE]

I was thinking that was one rough looking Hudson, better dip it a few times! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, can't wait to see more.

Matt
  • royer wrote:
    looking good Jay!!!

Thanks for posting them royer! It just tics me off! It looked fine when I left to take the family to the Nutcraker." Then I come home and see that damn mustang! Where does he come from? Can't someone here get rid of that? I never posted that pic at all. I don't have this problem on olskoolrodz.com

Jay
  • mrsbojigger
    Ha! I thought that was you when you were younger. What do you really look like?

As a side note, I am now using DuPont 2505c epoxy primer on my car.
    Chaz
  • mrsbojigger wrote:
    Ha! I thought that was you when you were yonger.

That might have been me when I remembered how to correctly post pics! Geez, I'm losing it!
  • mrsbojigger
    What a quick reply. Almost like we were in the chat room.
    Chaz
  • Never did the chat room think, anybody use it?
This discussion has been closed.