Gas shocks for '51 Hornet

Walt-LA
Walt-LA Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I'm looking for gas shocks for a '51 Hornet sedan. I have the heavier springs in front (2080 load, 486 rate). HET Mech. Procedures Manual calls for a shock that is 7 3/4 inches in length (compressed). Ones I received for the car are shorter (about 7 inches) and will not bolt in without compressing the spring somewhat. Wondering if they would be damaged on recoil from a sharp bump?

If not, could install.

Would like info on gas models anyone has used for rear as well. I presently have standard leaves on the car.

Tires are P225 radials on standard hubs.

THANKS!

Walt

Comments

• Hudson Manual Says Front 7 3/4-12 Rear 13-3/16 To 21-5/16 Front: Gabriel Gas Shocks:front#82028 They Measure 8-13". Rear:#81147 Available At Autozone
  • Walt-LA
    I spoke with a tech rep at Gabriel this AM. He stated that Gabriel shock No. 82028 had eyebolts on both ends, and measured 11.1 inch compressed, and 17.55 extended.. Front shocks on the Hornet are stud type, top and bottom.

Does anyone have experience with a recently manafactured gas shock on their car?

Thanks, Walter
  • For the rear shocks NAPA # 94080. I can't find my receipt for the front shocks but NAPA should have it in their books.

Larry B.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    I used a Monroe 31176 gas on the front of my Commadore, and added a (9/16?)nut and washer over the rod to extend the effective length to what the original was.

I used Monroe 31094 gas on the rear and had to narrow the rubber bushing about 1/8 on each side to get it in the upper U-channell.

They work great, but I think they make the 215-75R15s ride a little harsh in town. Guess I remember the ride of the old Goodyear Supercushions, which I am considering.
  • So, what is the effect of those springs? Did you have them made?
  • Walt-LA
    Dwardo,

The heavier coils raised the front a little bit, perhaps because the old were tired, and are "stiffer" than the standard springs. They are NOS. Part no's are in the HET part manual. There are several companies which make them, including Detroit Spring. Ken Cates stepdown restoration page gives Detroit Springs and a place in Kansas which will make them. Hudson also had a heavier spring which fell under severe usage class.

W
This discussion has been closed.