Rear brake disassembly question

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
How do I get the drums off of the rear of my 46 p/u?

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You will need to use a wheel puller. These can often be rented at tool rental places. Make sure the drums rotate freely and the brakes are not set. Paul Schuster has assembled a very nice illustrated 'how-to', in a photo album on the Hudson photo album website: http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/rearwheelpuller.msnw

(Note that the photos run for two pages; see the page number selector window to the left and above the upper left photo on the page.)

By the way, it helps to unscrew the axle nut a few turns but not remove it, until the drum has 'popped loose' -- once it pops away from the backing plate you can remove the nut and pull the drum off by hand. You do not want the drum to come flying off the axle when you whack the 'dogbone' on the puller, with the sledge hammer!

One other thing: as you are tightening the puller, try banging the edges of the drum with a hammer to set up vibration. Often this will release the tension built up when you have tightened the puller...and the drum will pop free.
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    hello, if your truck is running/driveable i have seen several articles posted by mechanics where they remove the cotter pin, back the axle nut off or remove the washer and reinstall a thinner washer and the nut, then put the cotter pin back in and drive around the block come back and remove the drum. each of these artiles, by various mechanics, has said this technique "has never failed" . best of luck. tom
  • LanceB
    LanceB Senior Contributor
    I had rented a wheel puller from the local rental shop. Ask for a crysler bolt pattern. I had one rim that would not budge until I used the pulled, then it 'poped' off.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    If the brakes are frozen and you can't rotate the drum, remove the large nut behind the backer plate that holds the anchor pin.

Then use the puller. The shoes will come off with the drum and you can loosen them with a vise grip and get them out on the bench.

I had to use a little heat on the hub from the torch on the 52.

DON'T whack the end of the axle. You will break the spacer in the differential.
  • Everything moves freely and the front brakes looked new when I pulled the drums off (the springs still had paint on them) but I want to inspect the rears and replace the wheel cylinders as well as the passenger side axle shaft seal, it leaks like crazy.

UPDATE....

I have finished 80% of the rust repair, including frame patching and new floor sections in the cab, still have some areas under the cab that need grinding and painting. will be installing new fuel and brake lines in the next couple of weeks. then the real fun begins....body work

I have pics, but my photo hosting site is proving unreliable lately, I'd gladly email them to anyone interested
  • uc4me wrote:
    How do I get the drums off of the rear of my 46 p/u?
    Hi:

The following technique was passed to me and now resides on my Hudson website....

color]Pull Rear Drums without a Puller! Rear wheel hub removal been through this before guys, looks like good topic for the magazine,. What I did was take an old axle out of a scrap Chrysler, rear end,(same bolt pattern)Knock out the studs, Buy 5 bolts 3-4 inches long that would fit in the Hudson bolt holes. Put the old axle up to the hub, install bolts and tighen,OFF COMES THE HUB !!!! no special tools no damage to drum.... Hudson Chat Gord Souter(Canada): 11/12/2000

Good Luck:)
This discussion has been closed.