Frozen front drum

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Greeings from Colorado!

I have been following the rear drum removal thread with interest. My parts car,a 1952 Hornet, is ready to come to the house to start donating parts for the '51. The car sat for a long time in a "wet at times" area. The right front drum is stuck SOLID. I would like to be able to roll the vehicle when I get it home. Any ideas?

Please bear in mind, the car is out on the Colorado prairie. In the middle of no-where. No power and just the tools that I lug out there. Really a pain to get it on the trailer with the right front wheel off.... Not to mention the cactus...

George T

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Take that big nut off behind the backer plate, that holds the anchor pin. Remove the hub nut and outer bearing and put the 3-jawed puller on it. It'll come off, shoes and all.

When it's off, turn the adjuster with vise-grip, hammer and punch etc. and pry the shoes out. Put the hub back on with bearings and nut.
  • I've had good luck moving cars w/stuck brakes by first; turn back adjusters if you can (they won't move much) then hook a chain from your tow vehicle to the Hudson and yard it forwards. It may drag a ways but usually breaks loose.

Have fun!
  • If it's been standing in water a long time, it may be "welded" together with rust. I'd take the wheel apart as much as I could, and spray a lot of PB Blaster or WD40 on everything, and allow some time for it to soak in.
  • russmaas
    russmaas Senior Contributor
    Remove tire. Take out a large bucket and pour in muratic acid let the drum sit for an hour in the bucket. Also wear protective rubber gloves
This discussion has been closed.