Hudson Engine/Transmission Pull

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Thanks to all for response to question concerning Engine/Frame serial numbers...lots of old paint & mud. Now for a new set of innane qusetions....Does anyone have any tips/tricks for easing the removal of the engine/transmission pkg? This is a six cyl. with a three speed (no O/D I'm told)...the front end sheet metal has been removed including the radiator bracket and grill metal. The reason for the question is any advise will make it easier to know where to remove the 3 to 4 inches of East Tenn. river mud and overzealous undercoating ( by the way, river mud makes a good rustproofing agent just don't use an impact hammer on a stubborn bolt while you are under a healthy deposit of it..signed "Dusty"). Are the head bolts strong enough to use for the engine leveler/puller...they look to be but I'll bet they have never been removed. Also, I'm planning to pull the engine/transmission as a unit...good idea? Any and all inputs are appreciated.
Thanks,
Ed A.

Comments

• My two cents worth: yes, the head studs are strong enough (I used them to pull my '37 engine and transmission as a unit). In fact, I pulled the engine completely by myself, using an engine hoist on casters. Best to do it on a concrete surface (though once, I built a sort of 'railroad track' in the dirt, using strong planks, for the hoist to ride on). Of course, two people will make the task go quicker!
  • The trickyest nuts will be the ones that hold the tranny down to the rubber support pad. You'll have to take the 1/2 in nuts off on the top of the cross member real close to the tranny, since the 49 didn't have the clearance holes in the bottom of the cross member like the later ones.

It will help if you take the front floor pan off first, so you can see everything. The bolts up under the cowl flap will be a little tight to get to and some of them will be covered with tar.

You done good to take the grill out. Yes, pull the engine/tranny as a unit. The head bolts will hold fine, just make sure they're screwed into the block at least the diameter of the bolt. (7/16)

Just ease 'er up to take the weight off, then back the car up a little and raise the motor a little until everything is clear. I've done many of them m'self. GO SLOW! and be careful.
  • CaptEd:

Just a suggestion but if you haven't already joined the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club, you really should consider it. Here's the link.

http://www.hudsonclub.org/

You can buy a reprint of the Shop Manual from the Club Store for $30 and it includes, among a lot of other things, good instructions on removing/installing the engine/transmission. (Yes, you do want to remove them as a unit). Have fun.

Tim
  • Have already joined the HET Club...Orange Blosson edition and National...takes time for the membership to work it's way through and so until then I guess I'm a personna nongrata. Realisticly speaking though, Everyone affiliated with the club and /or Hudsons in general has been very helpful and a pleasure to communicate with.
  • Hi Capt,
    You're never a persona non grata if you're interested in Hudsons. You'll find the members are among the most friendly and most helpful of the antique car world. smile.gifsmile.gif
  • if some one has not suggested it already. get an engine leveler to use with your cherry picker. they are only a few bucks and with a few turns of the crank you can shift the weight and adjust the angle of the engine coming out or going in. sincerely, tom
This discussion has been closed.