49 Hudson Rear Axle Information

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hello,

I've been browsing the forum looking for information on the rear axle for my 49 Hudson Commodore. Basically, I'm trying to decide whether the original axel will hold up behind a stock 454/Turbo 400 powerplant for everyday driving and am seeking some advice and info.

Is the original axle configuration strong enough?

I've not seen one apart but my understanding is that it is a 16 spline axle shaft - that would make for some large splines and maybe it would be pretty strong and hold?

What modern rear axle(s) will fit with the original tires and wheels and width?

Thanks for any help

rambos_ride

Comments

• The spyder gears will disintegrate. 100% certainty.
  • Take a look at this thread http://www.classiccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1924 and scroll down to where Wes discuss's installing a modern rear end in his stepdown. Should give you all the info you need.
  • A fORD 9INCH REAR END FROM MUSTAND OR TORINO, WORKS GREAT. MANY RATIONS AVAILABLE AND BOLT PATTERN IS THE SAME 5 LUG. THATS THE 60 AND 0 MUSTANG WITH 5 BOLT PATTERN, GOOD LUCK, BILL ALBRIGHT
  • A Body 8 3/4 Mopar rear fits nice and leaves room for a wider rear wheel and tire with the correct wheel spacing. We ran an 8 3/4 rear in our 49 Com. for two years drag racing with 440 power and 9" slicks.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    If the spiders don't crumble the axle will crack for sure. Don't even consider it. The Hudson rear was dropped when Hudson found out they were too weak for the 308. I hope you 454 will out horsepower and torque a stock 308
  • Just put a MoPar 83/4 in my 1940, primarily for ratio change. As I went into the swap, I found that a Ford 9" is much preferred. Both are strong, but the MoPar has several different casting numbers, and not all ratios are available for each. Also, there were different yokes, necessitating expensive dual pattern U-joints, etc. The Ford is just as available, and seems to have a much wider availablity of ratios, without the limitations mentioned above. If I did it again, would definately go with a Ford 9" as it is so widely used.
This discussion has been closed.