crankcase road pipe on Twin H motor

ArtS
ArtS Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hi there: I am a HET club member and new to this forum. I have a question about smoke from the crankcase road pipe on a 53 Hornet Twin H motor. I have been enjoying this nicely refurbished Hudson for about 18 months now and want to fix a few minor mechanical problems when the weather clears up. The motor is original, fitted with the correct 308 cast iron head, and runs cool and a bit rich. The spark plugs are not fouled, however, with black soot. During the first 10 miles of driving, there is some smoke drifting up from the road pipe up along side the car. It’s unsightly but not really bad. The smoking problem tends to clear up a bit after 20 miles of steady driving but can return if I keep the dual range Hydra-matic in drive while waiting on a long traffic light. Tailpipe exhaust is clean unless I gun the motor a few times which will send just a bit of gray smoke.

My question is how much crankcase smoke can I expect on this Twin H motor? The mileage shows about 47K and the overall condition of the car suggests that this is not too far off. I realize that water vapor is part of the problem since the car is not driven every day. But I do start it up every week or so and run it for 20 minutes just to keep the vital juices flowing. I figure that condensation in the crankcase should burn off relatively fast. But this smoke smells like combustion gases. Thanks much for reading this and offering some ideas! Art S.

Comments

• Sounds Like You Need A Good Tne Up And Your Carbs Balanced. A Crankcase Pcv Valve Can Be Put Into The Hole In Valve Cover And Returned To Intake Manifold, Any Fumes Are Sucked Right Back Into Intake And Recycled. I Just Put This On A Customers Car. Seems Pretty Effective. Bill Albrights Twin H Ranch. So Ca.
  • And, if you install the PCV, be sure to replace the original Hudson breather (oil filler tube) with one like the circle track racer's use in order to minimize/eliminate dust particles from entering the crankcase, from K&N

www.knfilters.com

good luck,

John
  • Question: 1. How do you install a pcv valve on a 308?

2. Is it a good idea to seal the oil filler tube with a non-vented cap? Or would it be better to seal the breather tube and connect the pcv valve to the oil filler cap? Has anyone tried these approaches?
  • ArtS
    ArtS Expert Adviser
    Thanks Bill and John for the quick replies and ideas on a PCV fix. I'll be crawling arouond under this car in the near future to replace the transmission mounts and will have a look at the road pipe and rear valve cover to plan out the fix.

I have one more question for Bill. Does the PCV need an oil separator attachment or is this normally part of modern PCVs? Or does the Hudson motor have this inside the crankcase like the small block Chevy? Best wishes! Art
This discussion has been closed.