Right Manual, wrong data, help!

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I ordered and received Hudson Mechanical Procedure Manual 500 Series. The only problem is that I wanted information on Engine and Transmission assembly. This book stated "Engine mechanical instructions and repair procedures... are the same as the 480-490 series... Refer to your 480-490 Mechanical Procedure Manual for instructions and repair procedures" What manual should I buy?

Comments

• Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    I believe the '48-'52 Shop Manual would be the best bet. It's Club store item 375.
  • I looked in the store catalog and saw item 375 which said it was a Hudson Shop Manual 48-52, In addition I saw a Hudson Mechanical Procedure Manual 480-590 Series. I called Faxon Autoliterature and they said there was not Hudson Shop Manual 48-52, there was a Hudson Shop Manual 48-49 with a supplement for 1950. They wanted 49 dollars for the shop manual and 25 for the supplement. Has anyone purchased the Shop Manual from the HET Store, can you recommend it. I want to rebuild an engine and Transmission for a 1950 Pacemaker.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Alexa, before you go any farther, have you e-mailed the H-E-T Store Manager for advice? I'm sure he'll give you the straight story.
  • Jon B wrote:
    Alexa, before you go any farther, have you e-mailed the H-E-T Store Manager for advice? I'm sure he'll give you the straight story.

the club manual claims to cover 48-52 but fails to recognize that certain things like wiring were different in 48 & 49 i can't remember what all was different when i bought my manual but for sure the wiring diagram for the overdrive is not right for the 48 & 49 years
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    I have an original copy of the 48 - 54 manual. -- not for sale -- I also have the 48-9 service manual. If you already have the 50 supplement, you will be better off buying the 48-9 manual as it will be more spicific to your car. In any case if Faxon's says there was no 48 - 54 manual they are wrong. Thus I would be concerned about their information.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    The '48-'52 manual sold by the club store may be the "composite" manual assembled and published by Jack Clifford many years ago, rather than an actual factory manual. That could explain the discrepancy.
  • if you need something to help you get started i can scan the Hudson section of my Motors manual (most of which came from the factory manuals anyway) from 1950 and email it to you.that way you'll have the specifications,the rest you can find out from a modern book on engine rebuilding.i probably have something that will cover the transmission too-george
  • Thanks for this offer, I appreciate it. However, I ordered the 48-49 manual and they tell me it will be in in about 7 working days. I will save this favor for later! This old Hudson is surprising me every day. I am determined to restore it. I restored an old 53 ford pickup 30 years ago and I had a ball. Things will go a little slow until mid next year when I retire.
This discussion has been closed.