1941 2 Door Business Coupe

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I HAVE RECENTLY PURCHASED A HUDSON 2 DOOR BUSINESS COUPE AND HAVE NO CLUE WHAT I HAVE. I CANNOT FIND ANYTHING ONLINE ABOUT IT AND HEARD THAT IT IS A RARE MODEL FOR THAT YEAR. IF ANYONE COULD HELP IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED. EMAIL ADDRESS IS FVHORN@VERIZON.NET. THE CAR ACTUALLY RUNS AND DOESNT LOOK THAT BAD. IT IS ALL ORIGINAL FROM WHAT I CAN TELL.

THANK YOU

FRANK

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Welcome to the world of Hudsoning, Frank! First off, I'd like to suggest that -- if you're not yet a member -- you join the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club, it's only $20 a year. Go here for more information: http://www.hudsonclub.org/

Business coupes -- which had no back seat -- were not high-production models, so it's certainly rare. If you're looking for production figures, you may be disappointed since most of Hudson's records were pitched out after the merger with Nash in 1954. I can tell you that 78,717 Hudsons were shipped in 1941, but only 812 of them were 'commercial' vehicles, which would (I think) include business coupes, utility coaches and coupes, and pickup trucks. However, it may be that a business coupe was thought of as a regular passenger car. You didn't say which model it was; Traveler, Super Six, or Commodore. If you post your serial number here, someone can tell you precisely which model you have, since the first two digits of the number will give that information.
  • Jon,

Thanks For The Reply I Found The Serial Number Inside Of The Passenger Door. It Is As Follows:: Tl 106748 I Hope This Helps Someone Help Me Identify It. Any More Help Is Appreciated As I Am Looking Forward To Actually Doing Something With This If Its Actually Worthwile.

Frank
  • Jon,

One Other Thing I Do Know That It Is Not The Commodore Or Wasp Or Hornet Or The Others They Have Listed. I Am Going To Try To Post A Picture So Someone Can View It. I Do Remember Seeing It In An Old Hot Rod Magazine From The 60's.

Frank
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Looks like you have a Traveler, Frank. I sent you a pic and some info via email.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Actually, I find that the initial digits '10' would indicate one of three models: The Traveler, the Deluxe, or 'Business Cars' (according to Alex Burr's excellent Hudson Handbook). The 'Tl' that you show preceeding the number, may indicate the '10 T', or 'Traveller' model. At any rate, it is definitely NOT the Super Six or Commodore model, or the Big Boy pickup truck! The '10' series all were similar in that they had the 175 c.i.d. 6-cylinder engine, with a bore of 3" and a stroke of 4-1/8", and that they had a wheelbase of 116". Hudson's other models that year had either a 6-cylinder, 212 c.i.d. engine, or an 8-cylinder 254 c.i.d. engine, depending upon model designation. (Note: the 212 engine was an option in the '10' series, and if one was installed an 'L' was included in the serial number -- but I don't see one there.) However, over the years someone may have changed engines and you might even have one from a later Hudson, who knows?

If any of your car's previous owners were in the Hudson club they might have registered it with the Club's registrar of 1941 models, and you might contact him to see if he has any information on file for your car. This registrar is apparently Al Muller, Box 7B, Little Pumpkin Valley Rd., Eidson, TN 37731 and if you'll send him your serial number he'll no doubt be happy to add you to his registry.
This discussion has been closed.