Air Filter

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in Street Rods
What modern air filter unit have you found to be a nice fit and look in your modified Hudson (keeping the Hudson engine, that is)?

I am looking for alternatives to consider.

Thanks, Ed

Comments

• I put 2 K&N filters for a Fiat 124 in my Jet with Twin-H.

What type of filter and filter housing does your Pacemaker have in it now?
  • royer wrote:
    I put 2 K&N filters for a Fiat 124 in my Jet with Twin-H.

What type of filter and filter housing does your Pacemaker have in it now?

I have the big, honkin' OEM wet-oil version sitting on the OEM 749S carb right now. I am looking to "improve" the air flow (if possible without messing with anything other than an air filter) and make it look "updated" under hood.
  • My Jet had the wire gauze type filters, which looked like it might filter rocks and pebbles out of the air, but not much else. I put on the K&N's to protect the engine from the desert dirt, instead of adding more air. If anything, I would think the modern air cleaner cuts down the airflow compared to the wire gauze.

What does everyone else think?
  • royer wrote:
    My Jet had the wire gauze type filters, which looked like it might filter rocks and pebbles out of the air, but not much else. I put on the K&N's to protect the engine from the desert dirt, instead of adding more air. If anything, I would think the modern air cleaner cuts down the airflow compared to the wire gauze.

Yeah, rocks and pebbles. That is what mine would stop.

I thought some of the new filters had scoops that "rammed" in the air as the car was moving. And don't some of them have simple fans in them? I know I just an episode of Car Guys or some show on Speed Network and they inserted a small fan into the big air tube just after the filter box in a basic Toyota car. And I have seen something like this done on Tricked Out (HGTV).

Oh, well. I am wanting to put one of those nice 4-6 in round chrome jobs on top of my carb. I guess I need to get busy and measure the carb intake diameter and go to the local "speed shop."
  • faustmb
    faustmb Senior Contributor
    royer wrote:
    My Jet had the wire gauze type filters, which looked like it might filter rocks and pebbles out of the air, but not much else. I put on the K&N's to protect the engine from the desert dirt, instead of adding more air. If anything, I would think the modern air cleaner cuts down the airflow compared to the wire gauze.

I think the theory is that the K&Ns and other modern filters provide more consistant air flow. It may be less flow overall, but with better distribution and flow properties.

I doubt that the difference between the the OE gauze filters and a new finer mesh filter is significant for performance on a stock engine. I would expect much better protection from the new style, but I have heard people argue that one too.

I plan on swapping to a K&N as soon as I find one that fits. I have used them in the past and I would rather service a K&N on a regular basis than throw the paper type away and buy a new one.

Matt (the one still using an OE filter)
This discussion has been closed.