Piston Quality

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
The pistons in this 1950 232 engine are a mixture of old and new. the older ones seem to have some ware at the ring pins. They show a little bit of a high and low ridge from left to right as you look at the top two rings. Is this likely to be a problem? I see a tiny bit of this on the new pistons so I guess it is a ware factor. In addition, the ring groves are small which indicates recent work. I was able to push the pistons out by hand. There is ware on the cylinder where the pin area is, a small ridge. Should I try to hone this out? Might not be able to do this...I do not want to go to oversize pistons if I can help it. I found this car in a field, don't know why it was retired. I did not check compression before I tore it down. A freeze plug was rusted so I assumed it would need a rebuild. Now I am not so sure. Lots of new parts in engine, everything was very dry so I am taking it all the way down and putting it back together. I have ordered a new set of standard pinned rings. All advice will be appreciated.

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Well, I guess I'd hone that ridge out, (wash the grit out good) make sure the bearings are OK, put your new rings in, get some valve grinding compound and lap those in and adjust them, and put 'er back together. These things are pretty forgiving, and one of the ruggedest engines made. The fact that the motor wasn't stuck is really a plus. Put a wet gage on in place of the sender when you fire it up and make sure you have good oil pressure, and run it. Just an opinion based on doing one.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    You really do need to get rid of that vertical ridge, or the new rings won't seat well against the cylinder wall. Maybe Gus Souza, Randy Maas, or other experienced engine guys can suggest a good way to remove the ridge without enlarging the bore in the process.
  • The rings came in from Dale Cooper today. The paper that came with them said do not hone the cylinder unless absoutely necessary. It said if I do, use a crocus cloth to smooth things out before installing them. They apparantly need a glassy surface to wear in properly. Now I don't know what to do about that ridge. Any chance it will take care of itself?
This discussion has been closed.