262 Timing Chain Slack

hudsonguy
hudsonguy Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
While I'm replacing my timing cover seal/gasket on my '49 262 motor, I wanted to check and make sure my timing chain is within spec. I couldn't find anything in the manual regarding measuring the slack to determine it's condition. It just said it's not adjustable. Any advice on this?

I know roller replacements are available, but I don't want to spend the money if it's not necessary.

I think these are the original parts, (although the engine was recently rebuilt), and probably have 125K miles on them. I can't see any apparent wear, other than where the chain was scraping against the inside of the shaft seal. I attribute that to a replacement seal used during the rebuild that was too thick. The replacement seal I have is considerably thinner, and I don't see that as a problem. Unless this is a sign of a bigger problem. (too much slack).

Any and all help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    A half inch or so on one side shouldn't be a problem on a 262. The slider on the inside of the cover will help wrap it around the gears. I ran a 262 over 145 K with the original in it back in the 50s w/no problem. The 308 stretches them more because of more torque and people tend to run em harder because they will.
  • On these old engines people usually like to replace timing chain and sprockets at 100K. I usually look for general condition of the chain and tightness where the pulling side is. They can be quite loose on the long side. I have replaced a couple that I thought were too loose only to find the new one did not change that much.
  • russmaas
    russmaas Senior Contributor
    Replace it or you will have problems down the road. You will definetly lose performance from the start, anbd issues with timing. Spend some money and do it right
  • Agree with those who recommend you change the chain... easy to do now versus sometime later. The answer to your question is:

Check my webpage for other information.

Cheers
    Ken:D

hudsonguy wrote:
    While I'm replacing my timing cover seal/gasket on my '49 262 motor, I wanted to check and make sure my timing chain is within spec. I couldn't find anything in the manual regarding measuring the slack to determine it's condition. It just said it's not adjustable. Any advice on this?

I know roller replacements are available, but I don't want to spend the money if it's not necessary.

I think these are the original parts, (although the engine was recently rebuilt), and probably have 125K miles on them. I can't see any apparent wear, other than where the chain was scraping against the inside of the shaft seal. I attribute that to a replacement seal used during the rebuild that was too thick. The replacement seal I have is considerably thinner, and I don't see that as a problem. Unless this is a sign of a bigger problem. (too much slack).

Any and all help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Doug
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Thanks for all the help, and especially Uncle Josh...thanks for spotting that NOS chain on ebay. It's on it's way to me. I'm just going to reuse the sprockets in the car. This makes the most sense to me. Given the condition and age of other engine parts, the easy driving life the car has had, and my limited finances, I'm hoping that a new chain alone will take care of most of my risk.

Thanks again,

Doug
This discussion has been closed.