The "OFFICIAL" modified 308 pic thread.

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
As I am anxiously creeping up on rebuilding my 308 (or having it built) I have started with internet searching for info, pictures and literature but have not found a whole lot. Here on the forum it seems that 308 engine pic's are scattered about. I'd like to start this thread to compile modified 308 pictures, tech info and come here to discuss it. It will make it easier when newbys like myself come aboard they can be pointed to this thread link.

I personally would like to see every ones different taste's when it comes to paint colors, chroming, etc. I have Ideas for a custom made intake manifold and exhaust headers that will match my (early 50's) period correct '32 Essex Hot Rod build. I am impressed with the Weber side draft set up for sure. Soooooo, show whatcha got! All speed parts, home made jobs, ANYTHING to make the 308 go FASTER. And one last request, other website links are helpfull too. I have to make it out to the next local chapter meet so I can pick Dany Spring's brain.

If you have trouble posting pictures feel free to email them to me and I will post them for you. HETjoecoppa@verizon.net and drop the HET.

Hope you all like the idea, Thanks, Joe

Comments

• this picture belongs to "the kid" i saved it from his post on another board- he is also a member here- i love this mill! its in his 49 ( ?) coupe. id love to have a header set up like this but having pedals and a steering box in there makes it not possible. very neat engine though
  • Wow I didn't think about how much of a pain a 308 would be with right hand drive, tight quarters I quess. That's a clean mill, nice detail work.

I have a shot that I got from a traditional Hot Rod site that I frequent. It belongs to (Rambleur) not sure If he is on this board or not.
  • arionrjw wrote: »
    I like the color on the block. Wish I would have seen this color before painting my block red.

I agree, there are many flavors out there. I would have never picked that copper color off the shelf but now that I see it on a block in an engine compartment with other colors It really looks good.

The 308 that I am tearing down now is a horrible shade of silver or aluminum, definatly not going to re-paint it that color.

Your red block looks good, thats the problem with tweaking you'll always find something that looks different.

Thanks for sharing your pic's guys, Joe
  • Here is another nice example of a spotless modified engine from Jerre. The Hot yellow and chrome/pollished aluminum are a great combo. Look forward to seeing the Edmunds intake on it in the Spring.

Thanks for the shots, its nice seeing the distributor side of the block too.

Joe
  • Hey Joe, I really like that yellow block. Stands out nicely and looks cool.

Jay
  • half baked wrote:
    this picture belongs to "the kid" i saved it from his post on another board- he is also a member here- i love this mill! its in his 49 ( ?) coupe. id love to have a header set up like this but having pedals and a steering box in there makes it not possible. very neat engine though

Thanks for putting up a pic of my engine. It is in my '49 coupe. The color is a factory GM color. The header is a Clifford item, I had a local place put the coating on it. It is a 308 with a 262 head, bored 30 over, cam, the block and the head have been shaved, and a Chevy Muncie 4-speed. The car drives so nice with the Muncie. It helps having that extra gear.
  • is that a gibson/binks inlet and head on that yellow engine? trust an aussie to do something like that first.... :D in time i hope to get my hands on some of their stuff but for now i ve got my hands full and my bank quickly emptying getting the 308 in...
  • nick s
    nick s Senior Contributor
    here's a pair of deuces from the 50's.

actually jay i think this may be the car those skirts were built for.
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    Here's a left side pic of my engine seen earlier in this thread. Also some

pics of the full flow oil filter mod before I fixed the leaking valve covers.

Hudsonjan06015.jpg

Hudsonjan06004.jpg
  • TwinH,

Nice engine bay, I like the on engine gauges and the gold paint. Is the full flow oil filter a common mod? Do you tap into the pressure/return on the pump and then run a remote spin on?

thanks for posting the pic's, Joe
  • nick s
    nick s Senior Contributor
    Hudson308 wrote:
    Yep, this is the Edmunds intake. Early tubular exhaust manifold is interesting!:cool:

i have the dual outlet flange for the header arrangement that you can see in the picture, i had thought it was for the outlet of a 7x until i looked at this pic.

best i can tell this car was built in the 50's, a customized 51 hornet, smoothed rockers scalloped nosed decked and side trim remoived. unfortunately i have before pictures and a couple in progress but no finnished pictures.
  • looks like a lot of carb.... on that edmunds....

for a flatthead....
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    Joe C wrote:
    TwinH,

Nice engine bay, I like the on engine gauges and the gold paint. Is the full flow oil filter a common mod? Do you tap into the pressure/return on the pump and then run a remote spin on?

thanks for posting the pic's, Joe

Joe , Not sure how common the oil filter mod is as mine was already done

when I got it. Yes, you can see the two taps on the pressure side of the pump

in the pics. They connect together and run to a remote spin on down on the

frame and not clear in the pic. Runs from the filter back to the blocks oil

galley(braided hose you can see in the pic) I imagine the pressure port in

the pump or block is plugged somehow to route the oil through the filter.

Looks to be a homebuilt affair, but it seems to work very well and is almost

unnoticable in the engine compartment .

Jeff Lynn
  • Joe,

There will be a board meeting at Perry Spring's house in Ontario this Thursday, The 18th of Jan. We usually have 30 to 40 people there, and Mom feeds everyone dinner. We would love to have you and your family join us. Dad has a 47 and a 41 pickup that you might like to see, as well as 8 or ten other Hudsons. We are also having a tech session in Palm Desert on Saturday, the 20th. There are Hudson engines there that have the full pressure filtration, and and one running a distributorless ignition. He should also have the 700r conversion and mini starter that I make as well. You could call me at KGAP for more info if you like. 760 868 2284. I'd love to see your truck in person.
  • Danny, thanks for the invite. I'm going to see if I could lay soccer duties on my wife and make it out there myself. Sounds like a blast. I'll call you mid week.

Joe
  • Here is a shot that I would love to see more of, like some engine stand shots. I think I right click saved this from here a while back.
  • Do any pictures of the linkage side of the Edmunds setup exist? This is a very interesting and "period" piece! The original WGD or WDO Hudson carbs fit on the Edmunds. Whomever concocted this setup did an excellent job of using the original Hudson linkage, and I'd really like to see how that was done.

I have one of these Edmunds manifolds and would like in the future to use on a 262/308 crank hybrid.

This is a great thread.

Mark
  • Hey Mark, it looks like the linkage is a simple bell crank pivot to the rear carb and an attaching rod to the front. I wouldn't think that any type of progressive linkage would work due to fuel starvation to some of the cylinders. How it hooks to the gas pedal is anybody's guess but Hudson used so many bell cranks on different models it wouldn't be too difficult to get one to work. Just my 2 cents worth...
  • tristansdaz wrote:
    Hey Mark, it looks like the linkage is a simple bell crank pivot to the rear carb and an attaching rod to the front. I wouldn't think that any type of progressive linkage would work due to fuel starvation to some of the cylinders. How it hooks to the gas pedal is anybody's guess but Hudson used so many bell cranks on different models it wouldn't be too difficult to get one to work. Just my 2 cents worth...

From what I can tell by the picture, it looks like straightforward H-145 Hornet linkage to the pedal. The end that I can't see has to be modified as the holder for the end was the single two barrel throttle shaft. The shaft you see originally went straight to the single two barrel, and it doesn't look misaligned in the picture, I wanted to see how/what they used to hold it center and what they did with the "bend" that was original to the single two barrel.

That's why I was so interested in seeing the other side of the setup, to see how they modified the rod crossing the head.

I like that setup, that's real Ol School speed right there.

Mark
  • `Hudsonator wrote:

I like that setup, that's real Ol School speed right there.

Mark

I agree, and the unique one off pieces that your average Hot Rodder came up with in his garage to out speed the next guy is the roots of what we see today. That is why I heart "Traditional Hot Rods" not billet trailer queens. It's all about the soul in it.
  • Here are a few more pictures from Jerre. The side view of the Edmunds head vs. the Clifford.... Wow quite a differance in thickness. The side drafts are pretty agressive looking. I can amagine pulling along side someone hoodless at a light with those velocity stacks aiming at their face:D . Nice stuff. Thanks for the shots.

Is there any recorded dyno data of the HP/TQ capabilities of a heavily modified 308 being naturally aspirated, or even using forced induction?

Joe
  • `Hudsonator wrote:
    Do any pictures of the linkage side of the Edmunds setup exist? This is a very interesting and "period" piece! The original WGD or WDO Hudson carbs fit on the Edmunds. Whomever concocted this setup did an excellent job of using the original Hudson linkage, and I'd really like to see how that was done.

I have one of these Edmunds manifolds and would like in the future to use on a 262/308 crank hybrid.

This is a great thread.

Mark

When I look at these Carbs on the 2 X 2 manifold they look familiar. I think they're early Rochesters, Maybe BB's that came off 51 Olds or Cadillac and relatively hard to find. Anyone know for sure what they are??
  • hudsondad wrote:
    When I look at these Carbs on the 2 X 2 manifold they look familiar. I think they're early Rochesters, Maybe BB's that came off 51 Olds or Cadillac and relatively hard to find. Anyone know for sure what they are??

yup, they ain't no hudson carbs in that picture. probably what was available at the time, is what they used.
  • hudsonkid wrote:
    yup, they ain't no hudson carbs in that picture. probably what was available at the time, is what they used.

They are Carters, but I don't have a letter designation for them. They look like what was on a Kaiser, a shade smaller than the WDO/WGD in terms venturi diameter.

They do have more fuel bowl capacity.

I actually have one of those carbs.

Mark
  • `Hudsonator wrote:
    They are Carters, but I don't have a letter designation for them. They look like what was on a Kaiser, a shade smaller than the WDO/WGD in terms venturi diameter.

Mark

I still don't think they're Carters with the cast choke cover and wild accelerator pump linkage across the front. They look the early Olds and CAdillac.
  • `Hudsonator wrote:

Mark

I guarantee they're not Carters, You don't have one of those carburetors (that's marked Carter, anyway), they're Rochesters, and I further the ante, by giving Mark the opportunity to produce evidence of such carburetor, (and it better not be some fuzzy half a$$ed pictures) before I do.

It's on.... more to come later... (psst.. pictures) :cool:
  • hudsonkid wrote:
    I guarantee they're not Carters, You don't have one of those carburetors (that's marked Carter, anyway), they're Rochesters, and I further the ante, by giving Mark the opportunity to produce evidence of such carburetor, (and it better not be some fuzzy half a$$ed pictures) before I do.

It's on.... more to come later... (psst.. pictures) :cool:

The "kids" right. They are early Rochesters on that Edmunds manifold.
  • hudsondad wrote:
    The "kids" right. They are early Rochesters on that Edmunds manifold.

anyone want to see pictures?

I wanted to see some of Marks, but I guess his mystery carburetor is just that, a mystery.
  • Here are a few shots of Dany Springs Engine. It's down for an aluminum head and a repaint. That is a real nice looking exhaust header. I like the up grade to the thermostat housing. The intake set up looks cool too. I'd like to go for a spin in it when you get it back together. By the way, that is my wifes '50 pacemaker in the garage next to the Essex. It dosen't have a good rubber on it. Every time she washes it I get to hear about it. Any way tell us a little more about your engine,,,,, like how far does that intake valve open and how far does that shiny piston travel :D:D:D . Pass on some shots when its done.

Joe
  • One more shot.
This discussion has been closed.