NO Oil Filter for 1950 Pacemaker

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
This 232 engine does not have an oil filter. Was it supposed to? Can anyone tell me how to put one on if it was not supposed to.

Comments

• The Hudsons usually have the Fram bipass oil filter. You can still pick these up. Here is a nice article about installing one. Its for a VW but the theory is exactly the same.

http://vwjudsonregister.tripod.com/fram_filter_fitting_instr.htm
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    Oil filters were an option. The optional set-up really doesn't do very much as to filtration. Occasionally you will see then original type oil filter units on E-bay and in the WTN Classifieds. There are some members that have adapted a late model type spin-on filter to their Hudsons. If you really want an oil filter set up, and don't care about originality, the spin-on is the better system,
  • Yes, we adapted a spin-on/off type on my engine, thanks to DB's ingenuity. The fuel pump was removed and serves as the mount location. The remote filter bracket/assembly was purchased from Summit. DB purchased copper lines from a hardware store to run to the filter assy and to return to the block. The pump must be modified providing for an exit; the return is present in the middle of block above pump. The normal route in the pump must be blocked just past the new exit; the normal route into the oil gallery is blocked too. I have the filter-holding bracket mounted upright so that I can fill the new filter full of oil before I spin it on. I hope this concept is helpful. Good luck!
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    My word. That's a lot of rigamarole for a filter. Why not just change the oil a couple of times a year?

I have the original Fram on my 262 Commadore, but I didn't hook it up. Looks great tho. If I decide, the upper holes go together and the lower ones do. Flex lines can be gotten at the fuel oil heating shop in various lengths.

True, these filters only get part of the oil, but the same chance that makes the oil miss the filter, also makes it go through. So eventually it will all go thru there.
  • Sli HAVE SEVERAL ORIGINALS, WILL TAKE THIRTY DOLLARS FOR ONE. NEW ELEMENTS ARE AVAILABLE HERE FOR TEH BUCKS. si RECOMMEND NEWE FLEX LINES FOR PRESSURE SIDE AND RETURN. NEVER USE COPPER TUBEING. IT WILL VIBRATE AND CRACK. HAVE SEEN A LOSS OF ENGINE DUE TO COPPER LINES TO FILTER.
This discussion has been closed.