Von Dutch Bus: 40k!

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Von Dutch's bus just sold on BJ's for a paltry 40k

Hopefully someone puts it complete w/contents into a muesuem - I just can't believe it went that cheap...

Comments

• It looked pretty beat up if I remember correctly. And maybe it only appeals to a certain crowd.
  • rambos_ride
    jsrail wrote:
    It looked pretty beat up if I remember correctly. And maybe it only appeals to a certain crowd.

It's a piece of modern history, true hot-rodders know the value of the rusty-ol' bus, tools and it's place...And of course true hot-rodders never have any money! :D

I liked the story of how Von Dutch came to make the bus into his workshop...the neighbors where complaining of the noise coming from his garage...so he moved all his tools to the bus, and since it was mobile building restrictions and ordinances didn't apply!

I think they goofed when they put the shiny-painted wheels on the bus...since it had been sitting on the axels in the desert for a decade...they should have stressed the paint to make them match the bus...

At least a sympathetic restoration could be done...maybe with some pictures of the bus "in it's prime" as a guide...

I'd bet down the road or at a more "hot-rod" based auction (not all these freakeen trailer queens at BJS) this bus would fetch more money...I'd bet any car muesuem that put it on display would easily make their money back within 2 years from attendence - if promoted correctly.
  • I agree that it would make a good museum piece in the right setting.
  • faustmb
    faustmb Senior Contributor
    I hadn't seen the bus before. I googled it and found some photos. Definately a good show bus. Given the history of the bus, I'm sure we'll see it again.

40K does seem low, all things considered. Some smart buyer will make some $ from this.

Matt
  • rambos_ride
    faustmb wrote:
    I hadn't seen the bus before. I googled it and found some photos. Definately a good show bus. Given the history of the bus, I'm sure we'll see it again.

40K does seem low, all things considered. Some smart buyer will make some $ from this.

Matt

I'd bet you could make the 40k back by taking it around the country If the thing was indeed driveable you could drive or trailer it around to shows...people would pay you showing fees...you could sell t-shirts of the bus since you own it...how fun would that be? ;)
  • faustmb
    Not a bad idea... Sell T-Shirts, take on a few small fab projects, sell Funnel cakes, all from the Bus.

Seriously though, it would be pretty sweet. I'll bet you could generate a modest income touring the country to car shows etc.

I would love to have a few hours to check the bus out in person.
  • MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    I don't recall ever seeing pics of it- can somebody post some, or a link?
  • The Barrett-Jackson page for the Von Dutch Bus:

Von Dutch GMC Bus-Home/Workshop

Not much info on the Barrett-Jackson page, but there are a couple of photos. There is more info and background here, including photos of what it looked like sitting in the field.

Todd J.
  • faustmb
    Yup, that's the site I found. Dan, you were right, those bright wheels look out of place. Should have left the crusty originals on IMHO.

Matt
  • rambos_ride
    faustmb wrote:
    Yup, that's the site I found. Dan, you were right, those bright wheels look out of place. Should have left the crusty originals on IMHO.

Matt

I think there weren't any wheels! It had been sitting on the axels for 10+ years

The "more info link" Todd J shared has a few pictures and the first one shows it sitting on the axels.

But I can't believe someone didn't suggest distressing the wheels to make them look in like condition...

If I had it I'd still drive the thing around the country and tour it with Rambo...think of all the good times, hot rods and women you'd meet along the way...
  • rambos_ride
    Mike (WA) wrote:
    I don't recall ever seeing pics of it- can somebody post some, or a link?

Watch a re-run of the BJ's auction sometime...they will show it over...and over...and over...

anyway, as it was on the auction block they did a pretty good job of running the camera through and telling some of the stories about the bus, and Von Dutch...
  • faustmb
    rambos_ride wrote:
    I think there weren't any wheels! It had been sitting on the axels for 10+ years

The "more info link" Todd J shared has a few pictures and the first one shows it sitting on the axels.

But I can't believe someone didn't suggest distressing the wheels to make them look in like condition...

I missed that- I thought it had a set on it. The original wheels will probably show up in a separate auction.

At least it didn't get spinners.
  • yeah, I think if I bought the bus, i would do a frame off restoration on it, and return it to stock.

That refrigerator, I would scrape off all of those hideous pinstripes, and restore that as well.

haha.. Just kidding you guys....

I thought that it petered out way too early. Probably the bargain of the show.
  • Sarah Young
    Sarah Young Senior Contributor
    What a pallette the bus would make for a pinstriper. Assuming a restoration will be done, they should auction off the opportunity for pinstripers to bid on panels of the bus, and have these guys who've been inspired by Von Dutch to put their pinstriping on the panels as a fundraiser for the restoration and/or museum or charity, dedicated to the memory of Von Dutch and the contributions that will live on.
  • The bus was stripped of nearly everything inside unique to the bus before the auction. Not worth $40K without all that, IMO. Provenance is great, but when it's stripped from the vehicle, it's just a bus.
This discussion has been closed.