Where to look for a step-down?

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I'm considering the purchase of a '48-'50 step-down. I've always admired the step-downs ever since my first car swapmeet ('70s) and lately I've been yearning to get back into an old American car. What/where is a good place to start looking for a solid fixer (preferably a '50)? I don't have crazy amounts of money to spend but I'm not scared of work, in fact I'd rather save a car knocking on death's door. I should also mention that I cruise the local wrecking yards regularly (I'm into old German cars currently) and I found a straight, rust-free body shell for a '48-'49 Hudson that will inevitably make it to the crusher. I spent a lot of time thinking about what it would cost to find a rusted out parts car and save a perfectly good body from the grave, is this insane?

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    It's admirable to want to save a perfectly good body shell, but there are two problems:

1) in a 4-door sedan body style, at least, you'll end up pouring much more money into restoring this hulk to first class condition, than you would if you simply forked out the money for a nice clean example. For $5-10 thousand you should be able to find a very nice looking and running 4-door, and you can find a good solid, driveable fixer-upper for less.

2). Okay, maybe you would just enjoy rehabilitating that junkyard car, and that's fine. But are you SURE it's rust-free? Have you checked the rear frame from the rear wheels on back? This is where Hudsons 'go' if they've been left out in the elements for years. And it can cost you thousands of dollars to have a professional simply restore the frame, before you are ready to tackle other body work, painting, upholstery, drive train, etc. Do be careful.
  • Jon,

You're absolutely right about pouring money where the junker is concerned, I just find it really hard to turn my back on such nice sheetmetal. By the way, I own 2 BMW CS coupes, it's safe to say that 98% of all these cars have rust if they are not already completely disintergrated....I laugh at what people refer to as rust in other cars. If someone in the Los Angeles area can use a nice body shell they should really check out this car, I'm going back there this Saturday to pull the quarters off just to torture myself and see if I'm right. Truthfully I'll probably hold out for a complete car if I ever find one, thanks for the words of caution.
  • The Petersen Automotive Museum has had a nice original '50 sedan donated to their collection that they are interested in selling. I saw it at the last Pomona swap meet a couple of weeks ago. It looked to be solid and an excellent restoration candidate. The museum is located in Los Angeles and the phone # is 213-930-2277. Call for details if you are interested!
  • I'm on it, that place is on the way home for me, will report back with my findings.

Thanks
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Jon B wrote:
    It's admirable to want to save a perfectly good body shell, but there are two problems:

1) in a 4-door sedan body style, at least, you'll end up pouring much more money into restoring this hulk to first class condition, than you would if you simply forked out the money for a nice clean example. For $5-10 thousand you should be able to find a very nice looking and running 4-door, and you can find a good solid, driveable fixer-upper for less.

2). Okay, maybe you would just enjoy rehabilitating that junkyard car, and that's fine. But are you SURE it's rust-free? Have you checked the rear frame from the rear wheels on back? This is where Hudsons 'go' if they've been left out in the elements for years. And it can cost you thousands of dollars to have a professional simply restore the frame, before you are ready to tackle other body work, painting, upholstery, drive train, etc. Do be careful.

Jon B makes some great observations. #2 especially! I am working on a 49 Commodore and the rust around the rear of the car is much worse than my initial inspections indicated - for a look check out http://www.49c8.com - I need to update with more pics - but this can give you an idea of what (and more importantly where) to look for

rust failure areas.

In several spots my frame rails in the rear corners need to cut out and replaced as well as patch panels for the quarters and rear roll pan.

The only saving grace on my car is that the unibody as a whole is not too bad and that my car has the original paint - no previous repairs have been found at all!

The only other thing you didn't mention is if you were looking to Restore/Resto-Rod/Hot-Rod the Hudson you want to get - I think that also makes a lot of differance on what to look for and how much to pay.

Good Luck!
  • I have done some rustorations. Not on a Hudson yet. My advice is to avoid cars that have previous rust repairs. I much prefer original rust! So look carefully for old repairs. Often they are much more trouble than the rust they were applied over.

Good Luck

Steve
  • Why Not Try Bill Albrights Vintage Coach, 34 Year Hudson Dealer With Always 20 Or More Good Hudsons For Sale, Oly 55 Miles From The Peterson Museum,, 16593 Arrow Bl, Fontana, Ca. 92335 Ph 909 823 9168
  • Update on the Petersen Museum car is that it was sold on ebay several months ago, I didn't even want to know the details (like it was a totally original runner and sold for $1500). I was so interested in the Petersen car only because a coworker once attended an auction there and picked up a clean, relatively rare car for a song because nobody in attendance really knew anything about it. Yes the junkyard Hudson ('49) is basically rust free, the only evidence was some minor bubbles where road dirt was trapped between the outer frame rail and body in the rear wheel area, the trunk floor had surface rust under the (original) floor mat but the metal was not close to being soft. I'll start another thread to let others know about this car. I definitely have the bug, I went out and bought the "Hudson performance portfolio" a collection of mostly vintage magazine articles re the postwar Hudsons, excellent book.
This discussion has been closed.