Stepdown Front Chassis Parts

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hi All!

I've got the front end off my 49 Hudson and am getting ready to pull the engine.

Since the front suspsension is now so nicely accessible - I'm wondering if/where someone might go to find suspension replacement parts (tie rod ends, a-arm bushings, ball joints, a-arm rubber bumpers etc...) - I would basically like to rebuild the front suspsension...

I've found most of the info on replacement of the brakes (actually the current shoes look good) - but maybe I should redo these at the same time?

Anyone sell a kit with these (chassis and/or brakes) parts? Or will I have to piece it together?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Comments

• LanceB
    LanceB Senior Contributor
    Try Kanter, but check prices.

Lance
  • rambos_ride
    Well - I'm revisting this thread do to no response from Kanter on a rebuild kit for the front end of my 49 hudson.

Anybody have other information on numbers or parts?

Thanks
  • russmaas
    russmaas Senior Contributor
    Well a-arm bushing are usually okay. I take 1inch heater hose and cut one inch off and use this for the rubber bushing. Just clean all parts and regrease. King pins usually are needed for the spindle. These can be found on EBAY and i think Dale cooper has them. There are no ball joints on a hudson front end. Upper control arms can be claened and install new rubber as i explained and put in new grease. KGAP sells the rubber tower that goes on the A-arm and upper control arm. Can use aftermarket stabilizers kits. NAPA has tie-rod ends and shocks(check Dave S page for numbers) If I remember correctly a earlies sixes jeep will cross for tie rods. Center steering pin kits are available from us at 21stcenturyhudson.net

In conclusion all you really need is a king pin set, center steering kit, tie rods, KGap rubber pieces, springs (check daves page for company) and the rest can be cleaned and rebuilt in house.

Cost estimate: springs $140.00, shocks $50.00 tierods $25.00 each (4), rubber towers $50.00, king pin set $110, center steering kit $65.00, stabilzer kit $25.00, elbow grease $ 0
  • rambos_ride
    russmaas wrote:
    Well a-arm bushing are usually okay. I take 1inch heater hose and cut one inch off and use this for the rubber bushing. Just clean all parts and regrease. King pins usually are needed for the spindle. These can be found on EBAY and i think Dale cooper has them. There are no ball joints on a hudson front end. Upper control arms can be claened and install new rubber as i explained and put in new grease. KGAP sells the rubber tower that goes on the A-arm and upper control arm. Can use aftermarket stabilizers kits. NAPA has tie-rod ends and shocks(check Dave S page for numbers) If I remember correctly a earlies sixes jeep will cross for tie rods. Center steering pin kits are available from us at 21stcenturyhudson.net

In conclusion all you really need is a king pin set, center steering kit, tie rods, KGap rubber pieces, springs (check daves page for company) and the rest can be cleaned and rebuilt in house.

Cost estimate: springs $140.00, shocks $50.00 tierods $25.00 each (4), rubber towers $50.00, king pin set $110, center steering kit $65.00, stabilzer kit $25.00, elbow grease $ 0

Thanks for the excellant info!

I'm not a member of HET yet (I've been dragging my feet) - I just wanted to ask how to contact Dale Cooper and/or Dave S as you mentioned in your post.

you can email off thread at dan@ypfs.com if you don't want to post their contact information on topic.

Thanks for the help.
  • russmaas
    Dale Cooper 513-821-6200

Dave Sollon home page hit tip/tech and scroll down http://home.earthlink.net/~dsollon/public.html/
  • russmaas
    home.earthlink.net/~dsollon/public.html/ may need to type in
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Bearings, Front Wheel BCA 15123 Hudson

Bearings, Front Wheel BCA 15245 Hudson

Bearings, Front Wheel BCA 9067 Hudson

Bearings, Front Wheel BCA 9195 Hudson

Brake Hose, front NAPA 10303

Seals, Wheel National 6407 Stepdown Front Victor 49136

Shocks Gas Gabriel 82028 Front Advance PA15740132 Monroe 31176

Shocks Gas Gabriel 81147 Rear Advance PA15740070 Monroe 31094

Shocks Reg Gabriel 82026 Front, 7 3/4 - 12 Auto Zone

Shocks Reg Gabriel 82154 Rear 13 3/16-21 15/16 Auto Zone Monroe 31094 Gabriel 81318, 73126

Steering center points Perry Spring CA, 909-460-0736

Tie Rod End Auto Star ASES140R R outer, L inner 36 Thru Stepdown Moog,Mq ES140R SPI 401-1005 Auto Zone 26385

Tie Rod End Auto Star ASES62L L outer, R inner 37 Thru Stepdown Moog,Mq ES62L TRW ES324R Auto Zone 26386
This discussion has been closed.