Part 2 Stuck Transmission

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Yesterday I posted that my 1940 Transmission was stuck in first after a 10 mile drive. Today, I went out to the car and it is NOT stuck. Any suggestions? Thanks, Paul.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I think the first thing I'd look at would be the linkage from the gearshift lever. Get down under the car and check where the linkage connects to the transmission and be sure nothing is binding, and that all connections look right. I don't have a column shift on my car but I understand that if these early cable-activated mechanisms get out of adjustment, it can be hard to shift.

The other question would be: are you sure there is sufficient Hudsonite in the clutch?

(By the way, I see you have a separate posting on the same question. It might be better either to post your follow-up as an addition to the previous question, or to hit the EDIT button on the original, and change it. Otherwise, you may find some follow-up answers under one question, and some under the other.)
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    My 52 stuck in gear when I parked it for the winter but had been getting noisier. Had to jack up one wheel to get it out of gear. The bearings are gone on the countershaft. Maybe you have a different problem but it's a thought.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    See my reply on your original post.
  • Well, It turns out that the interlock needed adjusting, on one side only. Thanks guys for all your help. By the way, would there be any harm in disconnecting that interlock (1940 and earlier transmissions?)
  • Yes, the car will likely jump out of gear when holding against engine compression.---Cliff Minard.
This discussion has been closed.