Tubeless or not

hudsonguy
hudsonguy Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I'm about to put a new set of radials on my '49 Super Six, and was wondering if the stock rims are capable of running tubeless? Of course, I've got tubeless type tires, but wasn't sure if the rims are going to work that way or not.

Thanks for the help,

Doug

Comments

• Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    If your rims aren't bent or rusty you should have no problems going tubeless. Don't forget to replace your valve stems.
  • I put radials on my 54, mounted tubless on stock rims. No problems after a year.
  • shadetree
    shadetree Senior Contributor
    I Put Tubless 225/75/15 Firestone 721 Radials On My 51 Hornet Stock Rims 5+ Years Ago And Have Made Several 500 + Miles Trips With No Problems.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    AND.... I put tubeless radials on my '49.... No problems
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Tubeless tyres will work just fine on stepdown rims, and it's a very common practice. BUT..... Check the legality of doing so. In some jurisdictons tubeless tyres can only be fitted to safety rims - adopted by most car manufacturers by the mid 60s - and the Hudson rim, fine rim though it is, is not a safety rim.
  • bob ward wrote:
    Tubeless tyres will work just fine on stepdown rims, and it's a very common practice. BUT..... Check the legality of doing so. In some jurisdictons tubeless tyres can only be fitted to safety rims - adopted by most car manufacturers by the mid 60s - and the Hudson rim, fine rim though it is, is not a safety rim.

Bob, what modifications are necessary on a standard rim to qualify it to be a safety rim? Cliff Minard.
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    My '51 Hornet has L 78 15 Bias ply wide white tubeless, and has had no problems for 5 years ! Bought at Lucas tire in Long beach Ca.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Cliff, a safety rim has a raised section, maybe 1/16" high, just behind the bead. Run your finger over a modern rim and you will see what I mean. The bead is actually sitting in a channel, physically locking the bead against the rim. Otherwise, with a pre-safety rim all that holds the bead against the rim is air pressure and friction, which works well 99.999% of the time. But under hard cornering, or with an under inflated tyre, or with hitting a gutter, the bead can move away from the rim causing instant and catastrophic tyre deflation.

This is one of the occasions where a picture is worth a thousand words, but I hope I've explained it well enough. The safety rim concept was pioneered by Chrysler in the 40s

If safety rim bands that suit the diameter of the Hudson wheel centre are available, the original band can be removed and a new safety band welded in its place. And while you are at it I guess you would put a 6" rim on at the same time. If anyone knows their way around the wheel industry this would be worthwhile research.

Otherwise Chrysler or Ford safety rims can be fitted, but this leads to problems in fitting the Hudson hubcaps
  • bob ward wrote:
    Cliff, a safety rim has a raised section, maybe 1/16" high, just behind the bead. Run your finger over a modern rim and you will see what I mean. The bead is actually sitting in a channel, physically locking the bead against the rim. Otherwise, with a pre-safety rim all that holds the bead against the rim is air pressure and friction, which works well 99.999% of the time. But under hard cornering, or with an under inflated tyre, or with hitting a gutter, the bead can move away from the rim causing instant and catastrophic tyre deflation.

This is one of the occasions where a picture is worth a thousand words, but I hope I've explained it well enough. The safety rim concept was pioneered by Chrysler in the 40s

If safety rim bands that suit the diameter of the Hudson wheel centre are available, the original band can be removed and a new safety band welded in its place. And while you are at it I guess you would put a 6" rim on at the same time. If anyone knows their way around the wheel industry this would be worthwhile research.

Otherwise Chrysler or Ford safety rims can be fitted, but this leads to problems in fitting the Hudson hubcaps

Thanks Bob. It seems like no matter how old I get, there is always something new to learn. Cliff Minard.
This discussion has been closed.