Car Transport question

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Help! Does anyone know of a reputable person to transport a Hudson from the midwest to Florida? Prefer someone with whom you have done buisness with successfully. Thanks, Paul

Comments

• Not cheap, but good. They've hauled a '52 Hornet from Minnesota to California for me. Check 'em out at www.intercitylines.com

-df
  • Contact Bob Huff he can give you a phone number of someone,he uses all the time.314-487-3073.
  • A fellow Hudsonite, Bill Hafker of Minnesota, is currently dealing with F&S trucking (not sure where they're based; you could check the Internet) to have a car moved from Alabama to Minn. He says they were friendly and had the best price, but since the car hasn't been transported yet he cannot say what kind of a job they did. The F & S number is 800-982-1551, and you can talk to "Sue".

Also, it might be helpful to post where in the midwest you're speaking of.
  • Whatever transport company you choose, please ask for a copy of their insurance certificate and ask your own insurance agent to look it over for you. A few years ago, I hired a transport company that has run full page ads in Hemming's for years. My car was damaged by them to the tune of about $10,000. It didn't take too long into the negotiations to find out that they were "self insured" and I was told by the owner that I would have to sue them for damages. The lawsuit would have had to take place in a NJ court (I live in Michigan). My attorney suggested I would be better off hiring a NJ lawer, but also thought that I would probably spend more than $10,000 before everything was said and done. This was confirmed by other attorneys I checked with. So I ended up paying for the damage out of my pocket. Ever since, as I've told this story, I've heard similar ones enough times to suspect that many of these transport companies don't carry insurance to protect our cars.
    GET THAT CERTIFICATE, MAKE SURE IT COVERS YOUR CAR, AND MAKE SURE IT IS CURRENT AND VALID.
  • horseless carriage does a great job! sincerely, tom peterson
  • I used Passport to haul my 25 from Iowa to Philadelphia. I can't say enough good things about the experience. You can find them on the Internet.

A quick look and it appears they may now be affiliated with FedEx in some way, but I'm not sure. Anyway, the one article sounds a lot like what I had, without the problems.

Good Luck. Ditto on the insurance.
  • Same experience with Passport. No issues with 6 cars that I've sold on EBay. All the buyers got their vehicles on time without damage.
  • I have used Passport twice. Nothing but good things to say as well.The drivers kept in contact with me via cell phone, they have great equipment/trucks and reputable company/insurance behind it all.
  • Don't use Interstate Auto Movers! I used them to haul my '50 from Mass. to Arizona. They are just brokers and they screwed everything up. I told them the car didn't run and twice they sent out a truck without a winch! The contract carrier was great and the car came without any problems, but I wouldn't use a broker again.
  • I purchased a Hudson in New Jeresy on July 25 2005,Contracted horseless carriage same day got a complete runaround for over 3 weeks! Finally used Intercity. Hudson was picked up within 3 days and delivered 2 days early,went from New Jeresy to California.There Great Thanks Phill
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    The advice to use a mover you contract with directly is VERY important. Brokers mean well and I'm sure most are honest, but my experiences have been very bad. I would only ship with a trucker hired by me..no middle man. There are many "on line' car carriers and it's hard to determine if it is a legitmate trucker or a broker. Use caution.

Good Luck, dave w
This discussion has been closed.