Hydramatic vs. Overdrive

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I have always preferred standard sticks over automatic transmissions. The Hudson has overdrive and I love it. The Kaiser is a hydramatic and I'm not too thrilled with its performance. My Kaiser parts car has an overdrive transmssion (I'm not sure what kind of shape it's in), and I'm thinking about switching the Kaiser over. If anybody wants to talk me out it, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Comments

• Well, it's a matter of opinion but I have always felt that HydraMatic makes an old car more interesting. The original HydraMatic was a tour de force of engineering. I'd keep the Hydramatic.
  • Thanks for the insight. I'll give it a chance.
  • i think the lack of performance in your Kaiser is due to the engine,not the transmission.we have two hydra-matic cars,and they scoot along just fine thank you.
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    My car has a hydramatic and is a joy to drive. It takes steep hills very nicely if I can get a good running start at them. After the car sat for 10+ years I did have to "learn" to drive it all over again as the new computer controlled automatics kind of "drive themselves" and I had forgotten how the Hudson drove. I wouldn't recommend a transmission swap and agree that your performance problem is in the engine rather than the transmission. If memory serves me correctly, your Kaiser has a supercharger. Have you checked it to make sure it is working correctly? I have a late model with a supercharger and it has it's own oil reservior rather than using the engine oil for lubrication. The major cause of failure in my type of supercharger (GM) is that most people don't check the supercharger oil on a regular basis and the 30,000 mile service manual recommended check isn't often enough. No oil = no supercharger and a $2500.00 bill to replace it. If I were you I would take a good look at the supercharger to make sure it is functioning properly and is well lubricated. Then check your timing, valves, wiring, fuel delivery system, etc. I think that in one of these areas your poor performance problem solution lies.
  • Don't get me wrong. This car cruises at 60-70 mph. I just don't like the way it changes gears when it wants to. It jumps out of second into third in a sporadic manner, but once in third and fourth she runs real well. The supercharger works fine. You step on it and the car will make your head snap back. I just thought that the overdrive worked better in the Hudson and was wondering if I would be happier with the manual transmission & overdrive in the Kaiser. I like driving the Kaiser. I guess I'm just not used to old automatics.
  • When was the last time the hydramatic was serviced and adjusted? and the fluid changed. Could be as simple as the linkage needing adjustment up to band adjustment and pressure regulator. If you have the manual it gives some nice tests to see whats wrong. The tranny should not shift sporadically. When I serviced mine I changed the oil, checked the oil pressure and adjusted the bands. It shifts nice and the performance is excellent. I still marvel at the fact its a four speed.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I was always amazed at just how well my 54 Hornet Hydramatic worked. Its a 60 year first generation design, the box is 50 years old and has probably been neglected for 40 of those 50 years. And it still works and works well! I'll concede the downshifts could be a little clunky until you got used to each other. Otherwise an amazing piece of technology.
  • I have to join the fan club here as an ardent admirer of the GM Hydramatic transmission. Eventhough the hydramatic first appeared in 1940 Oldsmobile, it really only gained popularity after it was installed in the 1949 Pontiac. As a kid growing up in the 1950's, I remember my first ride in a hydramatic equipped Pontiac. The surges thru successive gear changes was a thrill comparable to a ride at the county fair. All I have to do now is get in my 1953 Pontiac...place the selector in Dr...press the accelerator...and I am instantly back in 1953 !!
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    As I recall, back in the 50's era, didn't the Army use tanks with Cadillac V-8's and hydramatic transmissions!!!! Speaks well of the design if they did.
  • Okay,

I give up. I probably need to get it checked since the only thing I did was replace the fluid shortly after I bought the car. I guess I'm having memories of my father having a real bad experience with a transmission repairman on his old 56 Buick. I haven't wanted an automatic since. I do however enjoy driving the Kaiser once it gets in fourth gear.
  • I just need to correct my previous post stating that the hydramatic was installed in the Pontiac in 1949. It was actually first used in Pontiac in 1948 models.
  • ArtS
    ArtS Expert Adviser
    I, too, am a big fan of the dual-range Hydra-matic. Got one in my 53 Hornet and it's smooth and silky. When cornering, a little more brake helps on the downshift. Back up to 30 mph and it's in fourth gear. Coupled with the 3.07 differential, this car cruises with little drama. ArtS
  • Jason48 wrote:
    Okay,

I guess I'm having memories of my father having a real bad experience with a transmission repairman on his old 56 Buick.
    that's because your dad's Buick had a Dynaflow,which i would trust about as far as i could throw one.Buick had that damned torque tube too,so ANY trans repair is a pain.follow the directions for adjusting the linkage TO THE LETTER,and see if it works any better.an external (no pan drop) adjustment for the bands is possible if you don't have the gauges.if you live in the S.F.bay area i can help you out,i have the factory tools.here's a link to some hydra-matic info some friends and i put together http://www.rodnkustom.com/rocketeers/hydramatic/index.html
  • Some tanks were equipped with dual Cadillac flathead V8's and HydraMatic transmissions, one engine and transmission for the left tracks and a second engine and transmision for the right side.
  • Some US tanks had two Cadillac engines and HydraMatic transmissions giving one engine for each set of tracks, left and right. Amazing!
This discussion has been closed.